Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Teaser Tuesday

Another short snippet from The Sicilian's Love-Child
(c) Lucy Monroe

Tino tried calling faith several times, but his calls were sent straight to voicemail every time. He left messages, but they were ignored. He sent her text messages that received no reply either.

He couldn't believe his affair with Faith was over.

He wouldn't believe it.

She wasn't acting like herself and he was going to find out why. And fix it, damn it.

***
Morning sickness was just that for Faith, with the nausea dissipating by noon. While that did not impact her ability to work much, it did make it more difficult on the days she taught. She'd considered canceling her classes for the first trimester, or withdrawing all together. She doubted they would want an unwed pregnant woman teaching art to their children. However, she saw little Gio only on the days she taught and she could not make herself give those, brief though they were, visits up.

He was as sweet and delightful as ever.He hung back after class to talk to her and she enjoyed that. Today though, he was fidgeting.

"Is something the matter, sweetheart?"

He grinned. "I like it when you call me that. It's like a mama would do, you know?"

Suppressing the stab of pain at his words, she reached out and brushed his hair back from his face. "I'm glad. Now, tell me if something is wrong."

"Nonna said I could invite you for dinner."

"That is very kind of her."

"Only Papa said you probably wouldn't come."

"He did?"

"Why won't you come again? I thought you and Papa were friends."

"I didn't say I wouldn't come."

"So, you will?" Giosue asked, his little boy face alight with hope.

"When does your nonna want me to come?"

"She said this Friday would be good."

"It just so happens I am free this Friday." It was foolish to agree, but she couldn't stand to see the hurt of disappointment come into Giosue's eyes.

Besides there was a tiny part of her that wanted to show Tino he was wrong. Just a small part.

Really.

8 comments:

Stacy~ said...

Hey Lucy I just started reading "Housekeeper to the Millionaire". It sounds so good.

Amy said...

I love the snippet Lucy. I am going to find it hard to wait almost a year to read this book!

It makes me glad I have a subscription to the Presents line. At least that way I get the books about 3 months in advance. I am expecting Aug's books any time now.

lidia said...

Why is she ignoring his calls? What will happen at dinner?

Lucy,can this book be published sooner?

Brandy said...

I don't want to wait......!

Denysé said...

Oh dear, she's teasing me with Italian again.... I can't wait to read this one, Lucy!!!

I hope you're feeling better, all recovered from your tumble, and life is making you smile often!

With Love,
Denyse

Susan said...

Lucy, that is such a tease of an excerpt! Loved it. :)

Cryna said...

Great snippet and tease Lucy. Leaves you wanting the answers to so many questions.

Judy F said...

Oh you tease you. Sounds awesome. Hurry it up. LOL