Monday, May 26, 2008

Celeb Guest Blogger - Mark Montano

Blog, smog, frog, hmmmmmmm……..I like rhyming. Blogging is not something I do regularly. Living in New York and working in Los Angeles, I usually write about my run-ins with the famous and semi-famous people that I can’t stop staring at. Usually to the point of making them uncomfortable.

I once watched Mick Jagger and the lead singer from Matchbox 20 eat an entire meal. “No thanks” I said to the waiter, “I’ll just have water while I wait for my friends.” OK, I was lying, but the waiter didn’t have to know.

Now, I’ve been asked to blog about my life and my new book, THE BIG ASS BOOK OF CRAFTS (Simon & Schuster).

Let me start with my life. My life probably looks a lot more interesting from the outside. I host a daily TV show called 10 Years Younger and am on several other shows as an interior designer. While You Were Out, My Celebrity Home and She’s Moving In. Or as I like to call it, GET YOUR CRAP OUT OF THE HOUSE BECAUSE I’M MOVING IN!

Being on TV is not what you think it is. Don’t get me wrong, it’s fun, but not for the reasons you might think. It’s a chance to do your art (craft) for a large audience and get paid for it. It’s also a great chance for my mother to keep an eye on me. “Are you eating enough, you looked thin in that episode!” I’m going to be brutally honest here and just say it, it’s also a great chance for all of those snotty kids in high school who treated you like dirt to SUCK IT! Ok, I’ve said it. It’s true and anyone who had a terrible high school experience like I did and made something of themselves feels the exact same way. I’d bet my best pair of Luis Vuitton loafers on it. The ones I wore to the Emmy’s. Yes, the Emmy’s. Eat that Eric, you dumb wedgy giving jock! Now you’re bald and there aren’t any cheerleaders hovering around you. Revenge is sweet and whoever says differently used to be a jock in high school and is now selling used cars and wearing a squirrel fur toupee.

But, I digress.On my down time I write books about all of the stuff I get to make on my shows. All of the candle holders, headboards, vases, and room dividers are photographed and put in a book for later. When I’m not filming, I’m remaking these items so people can decorate their homes inexpensively……and at the same time enjoy the process of creating something with their own hands. It’s what I love to do almost more than anything. THE BIG ASS BOOK OF CRAFTS is damn cool. It’s a great gift, it weighs almost 4 lbs, it has almost 200 projects and 400 pages and I worked my BIG ASS off on making it something really special. I hope you all take a look at it.

My day today was pretty typical. Called my agent, nothing right now! Called my best friend Walter (He’s 93 and pretty cranky unless he’s had a few.), then worked on some 18th Century erotic art jewelry for a boutique I’m selling to. Called my brother who’s helping me design my new book cover art and snacked on everything in sight. I have too much time on my hands today. I have to clean this damn place because I am forever making a mess. That is was I do, I craft and make a mess. Every day, every hour, every minute. I’m either cleaning up my crap or making a new pile of it. I should just learn to accept it, but I just can’t.

Now I’m blah blah blah-ging away and hoping that I don’t sound like a fool. I listen to NPR all day and get depressed about the world. The earthquakes and the cyclones and the homeless and the gas prices. I know I should turn off the radio but I just can’t. It makes me feel lucky to have what I have and do what I do. It gives me perspective and with that comes guilt. I usually don’t write about this, but today I did a good deed for someone I’m having a hard time with. They will never know it because I don’t want them to. It’s between me and God. Yes, God! And let me tell you, SHE loves when I do good deeds! I try to do good deeds all the time and keep them under the radar. Otherwise what good is it? I would think you might be doing it for the wrong reasons if you had to be recognized for your actions. For example, if you are going to dedicate a wing to a hospital, then name it after someone amazing, not yourself because you have tons of cash, call it the “Really Cool Guy Who Fixed My Tire Last Week” Wing, or the “My Mom Rocks” Wing. Much more interesting. Anyway, I did this little deed and have been trying to do these things as often as possible but, it’s hard.

I struggle with what it means to be a good person because I have such huge self preservation instincts. I think we all might, I don’t know. Either way, it’s a struggle that I’m learning to overcome. With that I can say my biggest good deed is this. I’ve learned to share my gifts with the world. I can make anything out of anything and I want to empower people to feel the same. I want people to know that they can create anything and that creativity is something we ALL have. My good deed is to inspire and to keep shining as brightly as I can. That’s all I can do really.

Mark
www.myspace.com/thebigassbookofcrafts
www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfi_JHeGRy0
http://www.markmontano.com/

Note from Lucy: The Big Ass Book of Crafts is amazing! Hubcap's already got tons of ideas for stuff after flipping through it. And you know I like to share the wealth, so I'll be drawing a name from the comments on this post and the winner will receive Mark's previous release, "Dollar Store Decor." All I've got to say is that if you like doing crafts, or want to do crafts and are worried you aren't "creative enough" - these books are SO for you. :)

17 comments:

Lucy Monroe said...

LOL Mark! Welcome. :) And I think you've done an amazing job of perpetuating your good deed. Your passion for your craft shines and I know I've been blessed by it as well as so many others. :)

Judy F said...

Hey Mark. I am not a very crafty person but my sister is. I will have to check out your book for her.

Amy said...

Hi Mark, You are hilarious!

I love your shows, While You Were Out, 10 Years Younger and My Celebrity Home.

The Big Ass Book of Crafts sounds great. I will have to pick up a copy and get my hubby busy building things. Lucky for me he is a all around handy man

I really enjoyed your blog, thanks for stopping by!

Cryna said...

Hi Mark

I enjoyed your blog very much. I have done crafts over the years, ceramics, paper tole, macrame', liquid embroidery, that sort of thing and enjoyed it. Not that I am that crafty a person, but do enjoy doing things. I will have to check out your book.

Thanks for coming today.

Phyllis said...

Hi Mark,
Welcome to the world of blogging. I enjoyed reading this, and I like your sense of humor. I am a crafter and am now attending a card making class to learn more techniques. I will be looking for The Big Ass Book of Crafts as I love saying that. lol Happy Holiday to you and yours.

robynl said...

Hi Mark and welcome to 'bloggers land'. The Big Ass Book of Crafts is a book that would interest me very much; I have crafted for many years and come by it honestly because my Mom was a crafter. The females of our family used to get together before Christmas and make 1 craft together( each one crafting the same item). We seemed to quit after Mom passed away.

Jane said...

Hi Mark,
"Dollar Store Decor" sounds like a book for me. It's good to know that you don't need to spend a lot of money to create crafts.

Brandy said...

Hi Mark! Loved your blog post! Your sense of humor is fun. *g* I've seen you on tv for years and am in awe of your talent to make things beautiful. (Any ideas on 13 year olds bedroom? *G*) Ah, guess I'll have to check out your book for that! Thanks for visiting us today.

Connie said...

Hi Mark,
I enjoyed reading your blog, you are quite funny. I have seen your show 10 Years Younger but I had no idea you were an author as well. Your books sound like something I would enjoy reading so I will definitely look for them. Good luck with your new book.

Lettetia said...

Thank you Mark, for taking time out of your holiday to let us all know about your books. I, too, have been a crafter for more years than I like to admit. I have put your books at the top of my shopping list, as I am always on the look-out for fresh new ideas. What a fun sense of humor you have, and if Lucy likes you, then that is okay by me.
God Bless you and yours,
Tisa

Virginia said...

Hi Mark, nice to see you here!!! When it comes to crafts, I am not very good at it. My younger sister is, she makes all kind of nifty things. Myself I like to piece quilts, but younger sister can't sew. I just guess we all have our little things that we can do.

Kate Davies said...

I so need to get this book! Thanks for the fun blog post -- I really enjoy your sense of humor and your personality really shines through.

(Plus, I'm totally hooked on Ten Years Younger. TOTALLY.)

RubyD said...

Hi, Mark! Enjoyed your blog and your TV shows are great......guess I need to get off my behind and finish some of the projects that are started. Of course, that would mean less time on the computer to read interesting blogs......Good luck with The Big Ass Book of Crafts....I'm sure it would give me a lot of help on my projects.

CrystalGB said...

Hi Mark. Great blog. I love watching your shows. You have fantastic ideas.

Chantal said...

Hi Mark,

What a great post!

The Big Ass Book of Crafts is the best title ever. I love it.

We are in need of here, big time. You have no idea, lol

Chantal

Maureen said...

I wish this was around years ago because I do enjoy doing crafts but am not a creative person.

Lucy Monroe said...

And the winner of "Dollar Store Decor" is Jane! Hon, email me off my website with your details and I'll have my PA send the book to you ASAP. :)

Thank you, Mark, for joining us! This has been GREAT!