Monday, April 21, 2008

Mystery Monday - Guest Blogger Kate Walker

First of all, I have to send a great big thank you to Lucy for inviting me here to guest blog this week. And that's on top of an earlier great big thank you that I owe her from a couple of years back. From 2004 to be precise, because that was when Lucy wrote me a wonderful, complimentary quote to go with the publication of the first edition of my 'how to write romance' book - Kate Walker's 12 Point Guide to Writing Romance.

Way back then, Lucy was one of the first to know about the 12 Point Guide - or, as it was then, the 12 Point Plan because I'd run the 12 Point Workshop with her RWA chapter. That was one of the on-line workshops that helped me polish the original workshop and turn it into the larger, more detailed, 12 Point Guide that ended up being published in book form in 2004. And that was when Lucy, bless her, was kind enough to give me this wonderful quote - "Kate Walker's 12 Point Plan for writing romance is truly fantastic. Not only is Kate a strong storyteller and very successful romance author, but she is a natural teacher and puts the elements of good writing in terms that will click with anyone reading her book. If you are serious about pursuing a career in romantic fiction, I can't recommend Kate's plan highly enough."

Thank you, Lucy! I'm still smiling and blushing when I read that, even several years later. And I'm sure that your endorsement helped the book's success since then.

And now I have to thank you again for inviting me on here to blog about the brand-new, published today, second edition of the 12 Point Guide. I'm really thrilled to be able to say that this second edition is being published and I've been working hard to make it even bigger and better than the first one.

Why did I want to write a second edition?

Well, first there's the obvious reason - the fact that the first edition sold out. That meant that no one can get a copy any more, unless they found one second-hand. Even Amazon doesn't have any used copies available.

Well - they do - if you want a. A copy sent from Lebanon. I think that's Lebanon NY b. A used copy for £60-82 - £60-82!!!! c. A 'like new' copy for £67 - 40 I think not! And no way am I claiming that my book is worth 6 - nearly 7 times what it originally cost. Then there was the fact that some of the information in the original edition needed updating - for example, there were the names of some lines - Mills and Boon 'Tender Romance' was back to being just Mills & Boon Romance. And Silhouette Romance had merged with that line to be Harlequin Romance. Then there was the Modern Extra line which is now selling as Modern Heat.

Nothing stays exactly the same in romance publishing for very long. And that includes the focus of the different lines; there are changes in the guidelines and the things that editors are looking for in submissions. So obviously it was time to plan a second edition.

But I also decided that if I was going to bring out a second edition, it was going to be an improved and expanded new edition as well as a revised one. I know a lot about writing romance but there are some things that only the authors who write for specific lines really know about.
And so I decided that the best way to make the book even more helpful would be to include advice from the horses' mouths so to speak. Only I didn't call it that - I called this new section From The Authors' Desks. I sent out questionnaires to lots of my wonderful friends who write romance for many different lines - and 21 of them answered. Sadly, Lucy herself was rushed off her feet at that time - I'd have loved her to contribute.

But I'm thrilled to be able to say that the new edition is not only revised and updated, it also has this 40+ pages extra with advice and tips from 21 currently published authors. Authors like Michelle Reid, Anne McAllister, Sandra Marton in Presents, Liz Fielding, Natasha Oakley, in Romance, Trish Wylie and Julie Cohen in Modern Heat (Trish in Romance too!) - and Kate Hardy in Mod Heat and Medicals - along with Gill Sanderson and Margaret McDonagh. And in Historicals there's Nicola Cornick and Michelle Styles. . .and that's only as a taster. There's also Holly Jacobs from Harlequin Everlasting - er - Superromance (see there's another of those lines that came and went) and Yvonne Lindsay from Desire. Hopefully, whatever line you're aiming for you'll find something to help you there.

And it won't cost you £ 67-00 - I promise!

No, this new expanded edition will be exactly the same price as the first edition - that's £10.99.
From tomorrow - the actual publication date- I will be holding a special launch party on my blog (http://kate-walker.blogspot.com/) with many of the authors who contributed to the From the Authors' Desks section joining me in the celebrations - and many of them are offering prizes too. So don't miss out on that. And I'll be answering questions in the Writers' Q&A as well. So I hope I'll see you here.

Oh -and as I've been asked for these details again - here's what you need if you want to order the 12 PGTWR 2.

The details you'll need are:
12-Point Guide to Writing Romance(Studymates Writers Guides)
By Kate Walker 2Rev Ed edition Pub April 8th
RRP: £10.99
Publisher: Studymates Ltd
ISBN: 978-1842851319

In America you should be able to order it from Barnes & Noble, Borders, Chapters/Indigo - just tell them to order it through Transatlantic Publishers (http://www.transatlanticpub.com/)

But if you want a chance to be one of the very first people to own a signed copy of this brand new edition, then I also have promised Lucy that I'll give her two copies to give out as prizes. One will be for her writing class and Lucy will pick a winner from there when I can get my hands on the new edition and send it to her. If you join her classes, then she'll let you know how you can win that. The other one I'm offering as a prize here on this blog.

I don't know if you've ever visited my web site (http://www.kate-walker.com/) then you'll know that the way I pick the winners for my contests is that I don't pick them - my cat Sid does! I put all the names on pieces of paper with a cat treat on the top of each one, and the first one that Sid picks is the winner. So Sid will be picking a winner for me for this prize - and I'll throw in a signed copy of one of my Presents books and a special Kate Walker bookbag as well. All you have to do is to post in the comment s section - tell me about your writing, what lines you're aiming for - or why you'd like to win the 12 Point Guide - I'd love to hear from you. And so would Sid - the more answers we get, the more cat treats he has to eat his way through!

And if you're wanting to be a writer, you might find my Q&A on my blog will be useful.

And Lucy - thanks again for letting me join you on your blog. I'll see you very soon at RWA.

Kate Walker

26 comments:

Amy said...

Hi Kate, Congratulations on the Second Edition. My sis-in-law is trying to write a Christan Romance so I will pick up a copy for her from B&N. I will make sure to check out the blog party tomorrow

Cryna said...

Hi Kate

I am thrilled for you that the Second Edition is going to be released.

I am not a writer, but I would love to be in the running to win a copy. I would give it to my daughter who is writing. I think it would be a fabulous tool to have and that there would be lots of sound advice and points that you could learn from.

Kate Walker said...

Hi Amy - thank you for the congratulations. I'm thrilled to have a second edition. At the moment, B&N don't yet have it in stock - but if you take those details to a shope then you'll be able to order a copy.

The blog party is winding down now - poor Lucy had so much on that she didn;t get time to post my blog before now. But there are still some prizes going if you manage to comment on Saturday's post!

Good luck!

Brandy said...

Don't enter me, I'm not a writer. *G* But, thank you for posting today. I wish you loads of continued success!

Kate Walker said...

Hi Cryna - lovely to see you here. What a lovely thought that you'd want to win a copy for your daughter. I'll tell Sid ! ;o) I hope there is a lot for people to learn from - certainly I have had some wonderful reviewa for the first edition. I'm just about to send out the 2nd ed for reviews so fingers crossewd.

Kate Walker said...

Hi Brandy! OK, I won't enter you! And thank you for wishing me well - that's so kind of you. Thanks for dropping by.

JT Schultz said...

Whoo Hooo, Congratulations, Kate on your Second Edtion. I think it would be incredible tool to any writer.

I'm a writer and I have to say I would eventually like to target Blaze and Desire lines. Presents would be cool, but not sure if that is really my best fit.

**Waving to Lucy**

Kate Davies said...

Ooh! So my first edition copy is now a collector's item, eh?

Nope. Not giving it up. No how, no way. :)

Everyone, I was lucky enough to participate in Kate's online workshop for our RWA chapter. It was *excellent*. I learned so much! And the book is fabulous, too. Go forth and purchase!

Kate Walker said...

Hi JT - and good luck with your own writing. Finding that fit is perhaps the hardest part of writing - you need to know what you're good at writing - not just what you want to write. As I'm sure you've realised, there are distinct differences between Blaze, Desire and Presents and it's learning where your best strengths lie that will help you decide.

I hope you soon find out exactly where your perfect 'fit' is!

Kate Walker said...

The other Kate! HI! How great to see you there. I remember how oyu were part of one of my on-line workshops - that was a lot of fun> Congratulations on your success since then. (I'd like to hope that maybe the 12 Point Guide helped a little)

And yes, it seems that you can sell your first edition $133 ! Thank you for the great compliment - that you wouldn't part with it means such a lot to me.

I hope you keep on having more success

Kate Walker said...

PS Kate D - I just visited your blog and I was delighted to see that you've discovered Richard Armitage - such hero inspiration in one man! You have - like me - impeccable taste!

Kate Walker said...

PS2

Now here's a coincidence - I just had some books through the mail - international editions and one of them was an Australian duo - back by public demand - The Greek Collection - The Price of Passion.

And the two books in it are my Constantine's Revenge and Lucy's Greek Tycoon's Ultimatum. It looks like we were meant to be together this week, Lucy!

diane said...

Welcome Kate, Congratulations on the Second Edition. I think that your book is an invaluable resource which would be appreciated by most, especially instructors. Thanks for the opportunity.

ellie said...

That is wonderful news about the Second Edition being out. I would welcome this asset greatly since I tutor students. I know it would be so helpful. Wishing you all the best of success.

petite said...

Hi Kate, Wonderful news about the second edition. This book is a unique and fabulous addition to anyone's collection. For any type of writing endeavor this is a gem. Love to experience this.

Carol Burge said...

Hi Kate,

I remember way back then when you did the 12 Point Plan workshop on the old Craft of Writing eloop (I think that's the name of the group). In fact, I still have the workshop notes in a binder. :)

I remember the Lucy Monroe Course, too (in fact, I remember when Lucy got her first book published)! Lots of GREAT learning info.

I also have a copy of the 12 Point Guide, first edition, and I love it!

Congratulations, and best of luck with your second edition!

~Carol

Kate Walker said...

Hi diane and thank you. I hope that the second editon helps as many people - maybe even more than the first.

Kate Walker said...

Hi ellie - I always admire teachers. So many of my family are teachers but teachng writing is the only teaching I do. It woud be great to think that my book would help students

Kate Walker said...

Hi petite - what lovely compliments - thak you! What an honour to have my book called a gem!

Kate Walker said...

Hi Carol
The Craft of Writing Group! Oh that's going b-a-c-k . . How great that you were there at just about the begining! Thank you! And you bought a copy of the book too - now that really is a compliment to the whole 12 point idea. I really hope that it has helped you with your writing.

And I remember when Lucy had her first book published too. I met her at RWA way back when she pitched that book to an editor there. And she's never looked back since!

Remember that day, Lucy? I was at my first RWA and so nervous - and so grateful to you that you stopped to talk.

Virginia said...

Hi Kate, Congrats on your Second Edition. I am not a writer, just and avid reader, but I have a 16 year old niece that is heavy into writing. She would love to have your book I am sure. She is in High School and plans on being a writer. She has been writing stories for years now. Who knows she might be a famous author one day.

Lucy Monroe said...

Kate,as always, it's a huge pleasure having you here on the blog. I *do* remember meeting you and being so in awe of you. Incredible to me that we now write for the same line. :)

And your insights on writing rock!

Hugs,
Lucy

Kate Walker said...

Sorry everyone - life - and deadlines - got in the way of me coming in here yersterday

And I need to say Hi to Virginia and I hope your niece has some success with her writing. I was always writing stories when I was at school. In fact, I used to get into trouble for writing in the maths class! Tell your niece I wish her good luck.

Kate Walker said...

Lucy - I can't imagine anyone being in awe of me! It was so great that just after we met yo had your first book accepted and now we're writing for the same line.

But I don't like to think how long ago that was!

Now I'll go and find Sid the Cat and get him to pick a winner from the posts. I'll tell Lucy who wins and she can get your mailing details

Thanks so much for chatting with me. It's been a lot of fun. And thenk you again Lucy for letting me share your blog!

Kate

Lucy Monroe said...

Kate's cat, Sid, chose a winner for her fabulous book on writing. And that winner is JT Schultz! Congrats, hon! I've already given Kate your address as I had it for something else. :)

JT Schultz said...

OMG! I am so happy! Thank you Sid the cat, Kate and Lucy.

I already know that it will become a cherished book. I still have "How To Write Romances" by Phyliis Taylor Pinka. The book has a completely different cover than the current version. I can see this book of Kate's becoming a staple in my life.

Thank again, I am jumping for joy! Good thing the neighbors dowstairs aren't home.

~Hugs,
J :)