Saturday, March 15, 2008

Guest Blogger - Tracy Goodwin

Hello everyone!

It is great to be here today! Thank you so much, Lucy, for inviting me. It is truly an honor.

My name is Tracy Goodwin and I am proud to be a Historical Romance Author! My debut novel, Dance With Deception was released last November. Why do I choose to write historicals? While my love of research is one factor, the main reason is that I have always loved them … ever since I was a child. My mom never let me read romances growing up, so instead I read the classics.

Remember writing book reports in grade school, Jr. High & high school? Yep, I was the girl electively reading The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper, The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë, and Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë.

In college, I encountered Jane Austen for the very first time (I don’t know why it took me so long to discover Ms. Austen, but I’m so glad that I did discover her brilliant novels). I read Persuasion for an English Lit class and I was hooked! In fact, I couldn’t put it down! After Persuasion, I then read each of Ms. Austen’s novels, loving each one more than the last. What was it about these works that had me so enthralled? Ms. Austen’s writing style, her voice, of course. And my emotional connection to each of her characters. It was an immediate bond and one that I instantly valued. I wanted to be part of their world, if even for a little while. And that’s why I have always wanted to write … to connect with my own characters and, hopefully, write characters that readers will care about.

What do you love most about reading? Think of your favorite novels and tell me what you like most about them.

Now, onto some fabulous prizes. Go to my blog, http://www.tracygoodwin.net/blog/ where I have posted an excerpt of my novel not yet featured on my website. Once you’ve read it, I want you to answer one question: what does Sebastian do to alleviate his grief? The first correct answer will receive an autographed copy of Dance With Deception. The next five correct answers will receive a Dance With Deception mouse pad.

And I have another question for you. To keep this discussion moving, I want to imagine that you’re stranded on a desert island. You know, the usual tropical island … sun, sand, brilliant blue water. What and/or who would you want with you? Since this is purely fictional, no real-life families are allowed. Tough, huh? I know it is for me however, after much consideration, my top five would be:

1) Hugh Jackman – yes, he is in quite a few of my favorite movies and I love his singing voice (Boy From Oz – Broadway soundtrack - awesome) but, to be perfectly honest, the man is hot! Of course I’d want him there. If he’s unavailable, Johnny Depp is more than welcome.

2) Jane Austen anthology – all my favorite novels in one leather-bound anthology. And Hugh Jackman could read it to me (to be perfectly honest, the man could recite the listings of a phone book to me and listen with bated breath).

3) Robbie Williams CDs – yes, I couldn’t be stranded without his CDs (or my iPod with his CDs on there).

4) A beach house along the ocean – hey, it is my desert island and it has a beach house with amenities. My fantasy … and I’m sticking with it!

5) A sail boat – nothing fancy, but a sail boat none-the-less just in case said island happens to be from LOST with polar bears, thick black smoke, and island natives called “The Others” who are out to kill anyone stranded on the island.

Your turn … tell me what and who you’d want on your tropical island. Let’s get this party started!

Tracy

http://www.tracygoodwin.net/
www.myspace.com/tracygoodwin

15 comments:

Virginia said...

George Cloney is who I want on my desert island. Along with some books, electricity, computer, food, water, TV so I can keep up with what is going on in the world and your beach house sounds fantastic too. I think that would take care of most of my needs.

anne said...

I hope that I can answer Sebastien's question here. He drinks a bottle of Whiskey and Scotch. On a desert island I would like to have the company of Kiefer Sutherland. A wonderful beach house fully equipped and an endless supply of books.

Tracy Goodwin said...

Virginia ~ have you noticed that George Clooney looks better with each year that passes? How is that possible?

Anne ~ you are my first winner today and you've won an autographed copy of DANCE WITH DECEPTION, Congrats! Email me at tracy@tracygoodwin.net with your mailing address.

Keifer is a great choice, too. If the end of the island is near, he's the guy to save the day!

ruth said...

For company I would want Lyle Lovett. Sounds weird but I have my reasons. The ultimate beach bungalow with everything plus. Meaning gourmet food, books and internet and comfort.

ellie said...

Sebastian was drowning his sorrows as they say with Scotch and Whiskey.
If ever I were on a desert island it would have to be with every conceivable luxury for these times. My companion would be Patrizio Buanne. My heartthrob.

Tracy Goodwin said...

Correct, Ellie! You've won a DANCE WITH DECEPTION mousepad! Please email me at tracy@tracygoodwin.net with your mailing address so I can send your prize.

There are some great answers here but two constants - sexy hero and beach house. I like your line of thinking ladies!

flchen1 said...

Tracy, Dance with Deception looks gorgeous and sounds like a great read!

And as for desert island companionship... Definitely a well-stocked cabana with an enormous library, and ideally an internet connection ;) As for the sexy hero, maybe Gerard Butler?

Lettetia said...

Hi Tracy,

I am so glad you are blogging here and letting everyone know a little more about you. I knew you were special when I heard you loved Jane Austin and the classics as much as I do. I will miss my oldest brother, who unexpectedly died last month, because he introduced me to books and started my journey into other worlds and time periods. So on to your questions....

For a fictional character to spend my time with it is a draw between your Sebastian, Ian Mackay from ANNABELLE'S COURTSHIP or Reggie from Mary Jo Putney's THE RAKE [actors can be such divas]

Amenities would have to include a cabana with plenty of room for books and a gourmet kitchen [fully stocked of course].

I sincerely hope everyone loves DANCE WITH DECEPTION as much as I did. Sebastian is an unforgettable hero.

Amy said...

To answer your question Sabastian drowns his sorrows in a bottle of whisky and then he drinks a bottle of scotch and then her cries for the first time since his mothers death.

The thing I love most about reading is that for a few hours I am taken away to another place and time.

I would want to be on a deserted Island with Hugh Jackman and all my books, food, water and a cozy bed!

Tracy Goodwin said...

Flchen1~ Gerard Butler! One movie comes to my mind instantly, one of my favorites - PHANTOM OF THE OPERA! Gerard was fabulous in that! Great choice.

Tisa, I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. He sounds like a true kindred spirit, though and I'm certain that I would have liked him as much as I do you! As for your cabana, I like your kitchen. You'll have to do all of the cooking if I stop by ... sadly, I'm not the chef in our household (my husband is exceptional).

Amy, my fellow Hugh Jackman-ite, you are correct and have won a DANCE WITH DECEPTION mouse pad. Email me at tracy@tracygoodwin.net with your mailing address so I can get that in the mail to you. Congratsulations!

Bunny B said...

What I love most about reading is the simple way the author draws me into the plot of the story and I can vividly imagine it like I'm watching a movie. That's how I like to read my books.

Jane said...

Sebastian drowns his sorrows with a bottle of Whiskey and then a bottle of Scotch. I love romances because I love HEAs. The first romances I read were by Julie Garwood and they are still some of favorite books of all time. If I were on an island I would want to have either Christian Bale or Eric Bana with me. I just can't choose between the two right now. I'm guessing clothing is optional.

Tracy Goodwin said...

I agree with you, Bunny!

Congratulations, Jane! You have wond a DANCE WITH DECEPTION mouse pad. Email me at tracy@tracygoodwin.net with your mailing address and I'll get that in the mail to you.

Lettetia said...

What can we expect from you next Tracy?

Tracy Goodwin said...

I'm working on my next two, Lettetia. They are sequels to DANCE WITH DECEPTION and explore the lives of the siblings. ENTICING EVE is the tale of Colin MacAlistair while THE SKILLED SEDUCTION is about Tristan MacAlistair and Victoria Montgomery.

I'm enjoying writing these simultaneously and am almost finished. The release dates are TBA.

Thanks for chatting with me everyone!