Thursday, March 20, 2008

Guest Blogger - Nicolette Derens

Writers are, by nature, readers. One of my absolute favorite things in life is to stay up late reading. The wee hours of the morning, my book light or computer screen turned to dim, a favorite romance in hand, snuggled under my covers while my children sleep peacefully down the hall and my husband snores softly (and sometimes not so softly!) beside me.

I can’t explain it. Part of it is the ability to be alone but not really alone (if that makes sense). No meals need preparing, no phone is ringing, no dust bunnies are calling (actually, my dust bunnies tend to huddle in the far corners under the bed and hold their breath so they don’t get swept out… and it works!). Part of it is that its an indulgence to give in to my night-owl tendencies without worrying about the alarm clock or actually being as lucid the next day as my “day time job” seem to require Monday through Friday.

Yes, I have a “bill-paying career” that I happen to love. But does my mind wander to my stories and characters periodically every day? Well, don’t tell my boss! J I’m also a mom, a wife, a sister, a daughter, a team coach, a … well, you get the idea!

But I believe that writing makes me better at all of that (and vice versa). Reading and writing balances my brain. It allows me to be completely truly, unapologetically me once in awhile. Not that my hubby and kids and friends don’t appreciate the real me. I’m referring to those little parts of me that I can’t really be for one reason or another, but that are still snuggled into my heart and imagination. Like the part of me that some days wants to climb mountains (except that I’m afraid of heights) or the little part of me that some days wants to live in a castle (even though I can’t even camp out overnight without getting heebie-jeebies about not having indoor plumbing) or the little part of me that wishes I knew karate and could shoot a gun and track down bad-guy-drug-dealers in the depths of the African jungles and ensure justice is done (there are so many reasons I can’t do that I don’t even know where to start… except to say two words: Big. Snakes.). But “after hours” I can get all those crazy little parts together and have some fun with a guaranteed happily-ever-after. No wonder I’m a night-owl! :)

So, am I the only one with these “other lives I wouldn’t mind living for a day or two”? What or who would you be if you could do it for a day?

Nicolette Derens

14 comments:

Brandy said...

No, you are not the only one! That time when everything is quiet, when kids are asking for something and hubs are asleep and your time is YOUR time is one of the most heady experiences I've had. And yeah, I'm a night owl too. But, what fun it is to escape to a tropical island, to capture the bad guys, to experience that first blush of romance again. THAT is what makes reading so addictive, and enjoyable. *g*

Lucy Monroe said...

That's the thing I love about the romance community. We get each other, even if no one else gets us. LOL

As for what I'd be for the day? Really? I'd be a psychologist for the day, or maybe a kick-a$$ super agent, or maybe a really brainy research scientist. Hmm... It really *is* fun to write our stories, isn't it?

Hugs,
Lucy

Amy said...

If I could live another life for a day I would be a Nurse. I would love to be one to help others but I just can't stand the sight of blood etc...

Estella said...

I don't think I would want to be anything else for a day. I am happy with the life I live.

Virginia said...

You are not the only one that's a night owl. I set up every night to 1:00 or 2:00am reading. I love the piece and quit late at night.

I guess if I could be something for a day or to I would be a million heir. I am just thinking big right now.

Jane said...

I would love to the host of a travel show. I can see the world and get paid for it.

Lucy Monroe said...

Oh, Jane...that would be so fun!!

Judy F said...

I love reading before I go to bed. Its my time...

I would love to be a lady of leisure. LOL

Nicolette Derens said...

Lucy, that's what I love about the romance community too! We have that "connection"

There are actually a ton of things I'd like to try for a day and yeah, millionaire and lady of leisure both sound pretty good! LOL

I know that's partly why I write... I can be anything through my characters! What fun!

In fact, I'm reading a Lori Foster book right now that has kept me up the last two nights WAY too late! I'm yawning today... but very happy! Nicolette

flchen1 said...

Another late-night reader here! I love that quiet when it's just me and the latest absorbing read :)

Another life for a day? Pampered princess? Ballet dancer? Ice dancer? (Yep, I'm still 5! ;))

Stacy~ said...

I can definitely relate, and it's wonderful to know others who feel the same way, like many of my online friends.

I would love to travel for a living as well, exotic locations and luxurious hotels - sounds thrilling.

Michele L. said...

Gosh I can so relate to everyone's answers! I would love to be a person who has enough money to buy a brand new home. Our house is old, but paid off, and we are always fixing something. It gets tiresome. I would love to just be in a new home where everything works!

Oh I would love to be a millionaire so I could afford to buy an island and build a lush home in the tropics! Oo La La! What a paradise home that would be! I can dream can't I?

Michele L.

Maureen said...

Finding that time to read a great story with no interruptions is such a pleasure. I would be a photojournalist traveling the world in search of new and unique stories.

Cherie J said...

Nighttime after the kids are in bed is my reading time. It's my chance to escape into another reality and experience things through the heroine. It really makes my days a whole lot brighter.