Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Guest Blogger - Nicola Marsh

Thanks to Lucy for having me. It’s great to be here.

Today, I’d like to give you a little taste of where I live and why I set most of my books here.

I love Melbourne.

It’s a hip, cosmopolitan, gorgeous city…filled with the most amazing cafés!

Now, I’ll let you in on a little secret…I love food.

There’s nothing better than heading out and about, trying loads of different restaurants and cafés. It’s all part of doing meticulous research as any good author would, right? :)

It’s no surprise then that I set my upcoming Harlequin Presents MISTRESS TO THE TYCOON in one of the cultural food centres of Melbourne.

BRUNSWICK STREET (Fitzroy, an inner city suburb) is the boho capital of Melbourne. Think trendy cafés, pubs, clubs, multicultural restaurants, boutiques, galleries. You name it, this street has it.

I absolutely adore the vibe here and couldn’t resist bringing the setting to life…and yes, the Hideout café and The Red Tongue café are real places. And I ate there!

This bohemian street is the perfect backdrop for artist Ariel Wallace, who needs to paint a life portrait for her gallery to survive. In struts property developer Cooper Vance who has other ideas…

With a first line of, “Come in and take off all your clothes”, you know the sparks are going to fly between these two!

MISTRESS TO THE TYCOON hits US shelves this week and to celebrate, I’m giving away a copy of my first Harlequin Presents PURCHASED FOR PLEASURE (featuring my sexy Navy SEAL) out in Feb.

To win a copy, visit here and answer this question: What colour are Cooper’s eyes?
(the link for the answer is: http://www.nicolamarsh.com/bigshot.html )

I’d also love to hear everyone’s favourite café hotspots around the world…you never know, I might just have to visit for research one day!


Nicola Marsh

23 comments:

CrystalGB said...

Cooper's eyes are too-blue. :) Loved the excerpt.

Susan said...

Too-blue is the color of Cooper’s eyes.

Great excerpt and wonderful cover!

Brandy said...

Ooh, blue eyes on a man are a must for me. *g* (Considering hubs has them!)
Favorite Hot spots? Don't have any, unless my comfy LR counts? I don't drink coffee, so no coffee houses either. BUT, I can tell you that Joe Muggs (The BAMM cafe) make the ABSOLUTE BEST Hot Chocolate EVER! *G*

Jane said...

Cooper's eyes are too-blue. I like to go to the corner diner to have coffee and a juicy burger.

Estella said...

Coopers eyes are too-blue.Am looking forward to reading the book!

Nathalie said...

Too-blue eyes... I remember the question for another contest!

ruth said...

Cooper's eyes are too blue. Your description of Melbourne and the trendy area sounds so inviting and appealing. I enjoy strolling through cities that have charming shops and cafes as it is so relaxing and fun. We have a cute area that is called Q. It is an outdoor mall which has lovely shops, restaurants and boutiques, but it cannot compare to Melbourne's.

alissa said...

Cooper's eyes are too blue. Melbourne sounds delightful and fascinating. Loved the photos that depict the area. In Vancouver there is an area that is wonderful for walking and browsing through shops and cafes. If we travel there I enjoy that place. Cafe Artigiano has great lattes.

anne said...

Cooper's yes are too blue. Love the excerpt. I enjoy a cafe that is quaint and comfortable. Tea there is better than anywhere else and there scones are yummy. It is called Satellite cafe.

pearl said...

Cooper's eyes are too blue. Great book and excerpt. Loved your write up about Melbourne's hottest spots. I love unique places that reach out to me.

Maureen said...

They are too blue.

We live near New Hope Pennsylvania where there are some great outdoor restaurants.

flchen1 said...

Cooper's eyes are too-blue ;)

What a terrific excerpt! And I don't have recommendations for a good diner, since it's been ages since we've had the chance to go eat at one!

diane said...

Cooper's eyes are too blue. Whenever we travel which is during the summer, I love the chance to explore a new place which has great cafes and cute eateries.

Cryna said...

Welcome Nicola it is so nice to see you here.

Loved the excerpt. And the answer to your question is Cooper's eyes are too-blue.

Love your method of doing research. We have a lot of good places here depending on what kind of food you are wanting. I can't really pick a favourite.

Stacy~ said...

Hey Nicola, welcome to Lucy's place.

I believe Cooper's eyes are "too-blue".

Avanti's cafe is a fun place to hang out, and they have a tuna on foccacia to die for. Love it. It's in the Chicago 'burbs.

lidia said...

Cooper's eyes are "too-blue."

Loved the excerpt. I'll have to look for the book.

I'm not a coffee drinker so I don't really look for cafes.

Amy said...

Cooper's Eyes are too-blue. Great excerpt. I will look for Mistress to the Tycoon this weekend.

Nicolette Derens said...

What a fabulous first line! "Come in and take off all your clothes"... how can you not want to keep reading! *G*
Welcome Nicola! Can't wait to check out the book!
Nicolette

limecello said...

Hi Nicola,
Thanks for visiting! :D I've already got these books - "Mistress" should arrive in the next day or so, and I'm so excited to get my hands on it. I love your books.

robynl said...

too-blue eyes; love the description of Melbourne.

Bunny B said...

It's too-blue!
As for cafes, I'm not a coffee drinker, but I love cupcakes. So I enjoy the cupcakes at Hummingbird Bakery on Portobello Rd.

Nicola Marsh said...

Thanks for sharing some of those hot spots. They sound fab!
Hopefully I get to visit some of them one day...

Nicola Marsh said...

The winner of my book is...Brandy!

If you email me your address, I'll pop a copy in the mail to you :)

Congrats!