Sunday, February 03, 2008

Guest Blogger - Jane Beckenham

Nominated for Aussie Author of 2007

Thanks Lucy for having me here. Lucy is my hero. She is a writer who has proven that if you keep on going, it will happen. Perseverance, persistence and patience, and of course that one definite thing…a darn good story. However, here’s my spin on life, words and whispers…

It’s that time of evening again, time to feed the starving family, and as I toss the vegetables into the stir-fry writing is never far from this maddening crowed and my hero whispers sweet nothings in my ear.

I’m in my multi-task mode and stare with adoration in my heart at the colorful array of food I will soon serve my family. I, too, have my moment of understanding, that true love is just like a bowl of stir fry veggies, it comes in lots of colors and flavors and there is no one straight path to finding true and everlasting love.

I want to be nice to my characters, give them love and kindness, not despair and angst. But how then will a girl who feels she does not belong anywhere, who feels un-loveable, find her own true love unless she hurts enough to realize what is most important to her. How to make him hurt? Give him what he would hate the most. Love. Commitment!

Sure I can do this. I can multi-task…even when I’m spinning…

They say a woman’s work is never done, how true, but take a pause for a minute and think of the writers of this world. We juggle our lives, and the many lives of the characters in our head, both already down on paper and still to be published…all the while creating a gourmet feast for the family and playing mum’s taxi service for the little darlings.

And would we have it any other way? Not on your life, or the lives of our characters.
Right now I have to worry about two daughters, a hubby, dog, 2 cats, and five assorted fish, plus Ramona and Kalim. And whereas I do nice, loving things for my family and the menagerie, I have to hurt my characters, be the big bad meanie.

As my teenager would say… “That’s soooo not fair.”

So next time, you wonder how a writer comes up with such wicked ways to torture their characters, the ones you love, the ones who you have come to care about, please believe that we don’t really want to be mean. It’s the character’s fault really…truly, they whisper in our ear when hubby isn’t listening begging to be put down on paper. So we do as we’re told and in the process go grab a bowl of veggies wondering if amnesia will work this time.
*****
Jane Beckenham is a multi-published author of both contemporary and time travel/historical books.
For Love, honor and romance at the turning of a page
http://www.janebeckenham.com/

Nominated for Aussie Author of 2007
You can still VOTE- http://www.aussieauthor.com/

7 comments:

Brandy said...

Ah-huh, the characters fault. Riiiight....... *G*

Amy said...

Great Blog Brandy. I love the cover of your book. When will it be released? Or is it already out?

Stacy~ said...

Fun blog post, and I bet torturing your characters keeps you a bit sane with all that RL insanity. Congrats on your nomination, and good luck!

Estella said...

Great cover on your book!

Cryna said...

Thanks for spending time with us Jane, what a fun blog. I love the cover of your book.

catslady said...

I enjoy a little bit of humor along with all the angst and I'm betting your book has some :)

Kate Davies said...

I love the stir fry analogy! Chopping all those veggies is a pain, but the finished product -- yum!

And your cover looks fabulous. :)