Friday, December 14, 2007

The Rancher's Rules - Excerpt

WARNING RATED PG-13
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++



THE RANCHER'S RULES
by Lucy Monroe (c) 2006
1st book in Sunshine Springs duo
Harlequin Promotional Presents
December 11, 2007
ISBN 0-373-82057-7


Excerpt
++++++++++++++++++++++++++


The feel of Grant’s lips against hers was so overpowering, Zoe almost forgot to respond. Her body knew what it wanted however and she found herself arched against him, kissing him back for all she was worth. Her hands dug into the flannel covering his chest and she tried to eat his lips. He groaned and dragged her onto his lap, deepening the kiss.

At the first touch of his tongue, Zoe lost whatever sense of reality she had left. Her mouth opened and she invited him in with little flicks of her tongue against his. His mouth was hot, his taste utterly masculine. How had she gone so long forgetting how this felt?

Grant’s body shuddered under her and Zoe felt more than just his hard thighs against her backside. A responding wetness warmed her inner thighs as she clamped them tightly together in an effort to assuage the ache in her most feminine place. She squirmed against him, exultant when he bucked under her.

She licked the salt and butter from the popcorn off of his lips, tunneling her fingers into his hair, awed by the feel of its silkiness against her skin. His hands were locked on her hips and she desperately wanted to feel them move. Then they did. Right up her body to breasts that longed for his touch.

He brushed her already erect nipples as they strained against her top. She wanted more. She wanted to rip off every layer of cloth between her burning skin and his hands and she wanted those talented lips that were wreaking havoc with her mouth to do the same to the needy little buds jutting against his palms.

She rocked harder against him and he groaned deep in his throat. He bucked upward, pressing his hardened penis against the juncture of her thighs and she almost came apart.

It was too much.

It was too wonderful.

It was over.

Grant had torn his mouth from hers and yanked his hands away from her breasts. She kept her eyes shut and waited for him to resume the kiss, to go on to something better.
Seconds moved in slow succession.

She opened her eyes and could have screamed at the look of horror on Grant’s face. He stood abruptly and she fell on the floor, landing hard on her bottom.

So much for their first kiss in four years.

He moved to stand near the recliner.

Zoe climbed up off the floor. "Ouch." She rubbed her backside. "What was that for?"

Grant ran his fingers through his hair. "Sorry. I…"
She waited, but Grant never finished his sentence. He just stared at her, like she had grown a couple of antlers…or worse. Her body ached from wanting, not to mention her unceremonious trip to the floor. Grant’s dismayed features were not helping.

"Stop looking like that. It was just a kiss."

"Just a kiss? Zoe, you’re my best friend. A man does not kiss his best friend."

This was getting out of hand. "Grant, I don’t know if you have noticed or not, but your best friend happens to be female. There is no cardinal rule against kissing me."

"I have a rule against it."

Had he written that rule before or after their hot and heavy session in his barn when she was nineteen? She felt her face crease in a frown. "Well, you broke it."

"I know." He looked so genuinely dismayed that she fought with dual desires.

One to comfort and the other to smack him.

34 comments:

Jodi said...

I bought this book with the intention of giving it as a gift. However, I think I'll be reading this copy and buying abouther to send off!

Dena said...

I never read this book before because I don't read a lot of rancher,cowboy books until recently. I really liked the excerpt so I'm going to put it on my list.

KimW said...

Some rules are made to be broken. I like Grant! Yum!

Stacy S said...

Love the excerpt!! It sounds great.

Lettetia said...

Grant is such a blockhead! He is so dismayed to feel such a strong desire to his best friend. Lord help him come to his senses.

Great tease, Lucy. I love their story and have bought several copies for friends.

CrystalGB said...

Great excerpt.:)

Lori said...

I love the friends to lovers theme - it's one of my faves. This was a great book, Lucy! Loved it!

Jenn said...

Wow! I think I have another book I need to add to my list. Great excerpt!

catslady said...

hmmmm having trouble posting - sorry if this comes twice.

I wanted to say thank you for my win and to say how much I enjoyed the excerpt.

Lettetia said...

I can't think of a better way to start a dreary morning than with an excerpt of one of your books, Lucy.

Are there any more stories in the works like this?

Maureen said...

I hope it's at the store when I go during lunch. It looks great.

Cryna said...

Loved the excerpt.....hope that I can get this when I go out later today.......

robynl said...

oh my, a must have for sure; I love cowboy stories.

Lucy Monroe said...

LOL I'm so glad you all enjoyed the excerpt. There *will* be a follow on book out in April of next year. Housekeeper to a Millionaire. (Don't blame me for the title!)

Susan said...

Where can I find a Grant for myself? ;) I love cowboys! Terrific excerpt and "The Rancher's Rules" on my TBB list.

petite said...

I am very interested in this. The excerpt is wonderful.

Stefanie said...

Great excerpt!! I definitly have to buy this book! :D

Autumncat said...

Thanks for the excerpt. I just bought this yesterday and I'm so looking forward to reading it! Which characters will be featured in the follow up book?

Jennifer Y. said...

Thanks for the excerpt!

I am sooo excited! After much searching today, I was finally able to find and buy a copy of the book! I can't wait to read it!

Eva said...

Great excerpt, can't wait to read the whole book- Thanks very much, Lucy!

Judy F said...

I loved this book. Its a favorite. Man this has been the longest week of my life... LOL

Estella said...

I purchased this book today---can't wait to get started reading it!

blessedheart said...

Great exceprt! This is definitely on my TBB list.

Rhonda :-)

Nathalie said...

Only PG-13... That is HOT :)

Cherie J said...

Great excerpt!

Lily said...

Thanks for the excerpt :)

Lucy Monroe said...

So glad you all like it!!!

JudyF...why for is it such a long week?

Hugs to all!
Lucy

Joyce said...

Great excerpt! Looking forward to reading it!

Amy said...

I love this book! I have had it since last year and I have read it about 5 times already

Brandy said...

I just looked for this at WW when I went yesterday and THEY WERE OUT! SOLD OUT! *g* BAMM better have it when I go tomorrow! *g*

Lettetia said...

I found my copy at Borders, and I have a friend in England that sent me the Mills and Boon edition last year for Christmas. Great friend, huh?

Lettetia said...

Lucy I am glad to hear there will be a follow-up but I am not overjoyed with the title. Still, I plan to buy it as soon as it comes out.

Pamk said...

what a numbskull. i vote for slapping him

Stephanie said...

I can't wait to read this book! It is in my TBR pile.