Thursday, November 29, 2007

Special Guest Blogger - Gavin

I'm baaaaack!!! By popular demand (or otherwise)...

Come on, seriously...you know you wanted me to come by and visit again. I could make this a regular gig, you know?

I'm Canadian, right? You knew that. Jill-baby is from the U.S., but I'm a born and bred B.C. boy. Or man rather - do you hear me using my "manly" voice? I can do butch. I just prefer not to.

I am who I am...which is Canadian. And that means that pink hair and all, hockey is in my blood. Okay, not every Canadian is a hockey fan (Philistines!), but I am. I love the game. There's more drama on the ice than at a teenage girl's slumber party. You doubt me? Please... There are so many fights on the ice for a reason. Emotions run hot.

I love hot emotion. I'm not only Canadian...I'm an actor...emotion is my stock in trade, yeah? (I still think I could do Hamlet, but I digress...) We're talking hockey. And my love for it. It doesn't have a thing to do with the hotties on the ice, either. Well hardly anything. Have you seen those boys without all their gear?!! And all that passion? Yum! Oh, um...sorry...ignore the drool.

Back to my beloved hockey. Lucy and I attended the same game a few nights ago. My beloved Bruins (from Chilliwack, in case you are interested) were playing against the Portland Winterhawks. Her home team. I never thought she and I would be on opposite sides, but that's the way the cookie crumbles (but not in bed please...I can't sleep on crumbs).

It was an intense game. The Winterhawks led for the first two periods (okay, for the whole game), but it looked hopeless at the beginning of Period 3, until my homeboys made a comeback. They didn't win, but they played their hearts out and got in a few fights along the way, closing the gap in the score to a mere single goal. I flew home with a throat raw from screaming. (Let me tell you, U.S. fans are every bit as nuts as the ones I've seen at home. And that whole teddy bear toss thing? Crazy. Cool, but crazy. Over 20,000 stuffed bears got donated to charity. You should have seen them cleaning them up from the ice. Did I mention these people are crazy?)

If you hear rumors of a pink-haired guy lurking around the locker rooms after the game trying to catch a glimpse of the players in their all together, ignore them. It wasn't me...honest.

P.S. Just thought I'd mention that Jill-baby is guest blogging over at Kate Davies place today.

20 comments:

Cryna said...

The emotions that run at a hockey game - is something to see. We have had the bear throw here for the kids and it is astounding how many stuffies can be rounded up this way. But gives everyone a warm feeling inside to see the people come together to support this cause regardless of the team they are cheering for.

Being from Canada I love my hockey. Loved your post Gavin.

Stacy~ said...

OMG, I adore hockey! I know it's not as violent as it used to be, and I guess that's a good thing, but I just love all that intensity of the sport. It's one of the best things to be at a live hockey game. Being born and bred in Minnesota may have something to do with it (though I can't skate to save my life).

You are one cool dude, Gavin. Not that there was ever any doubt *g*

Susan said...

Hey Gavin, it's so good to see you again! I love hockey, too.

tara said...

Hey Gavin!!
Great post!! I have never been to a hockey game but have always wanted too!! I agree there is a something about men and their passion that is HOT!! lol I am glad you enjoyed yourself!! I hope to catch a game with my family sometime!
Come back soon!!
hugs..

Estella said...

Hi Gavin,
Great post!
Can't stand hockey, tho.

Special Guest said...

Ah, Cryna...a fellow Canuck. That bear toss thing? Very cool. You are so right.

Stacy...the refs are a lot faster at breaking up altercations on the ice than they used to be - but that doesn't cut back on the dram one bit. Do you think?

Susan...it's great to be back. I like this place. Lucy's got some very nice friends that drop by.

Tara...ooooh...passionate men. My favorite. ;-)

Estella...I won't call you a Phillistine. That would be impolite. But how can you not love my favorite sport? You're still a sweetie, though, I'm sure.

Lucy Monroe said...

Hey, Gavin...that game rocked, didn't it? I thought I saw you in the crowd, but with over 6000 fans there, it was hard to be sure.

Smooches,
Lucy

Amy said...

Hi Gavin, I am reading Jill and Alan's story right now and boy you sure are keeping my funny bone tickled.

Brandy said...

I've never seen a Hockey Game, but it does sound interesting. I'll have to give it a whirl. *g* Great post Gavin!

Lis said...

Great post, Gavin!
I *heart* hockey! Nothing like going to a game, esp. in the playoffs. :o)

Special Guest said...

Amy...love, I live to serve! ;-)

Brandy...oh, you've got to go - and more than once.

Lis...a woman after my own heart. Love my hockey!

Jane said...

Hey Gavin, who's you're favorite NHL player of all time? I'm a Messier fan.

Nathalie said...

I am also from Canada :)

Lily said...

Great post... what is going on with the hair!

Pink Drama said...

hockey is a sport that mississippi is short on. it's way too hot for the ice to do much more than melt.

i have had pink hair too, so rock that stuff! weird though, when oyu try to color it to something actually found in nature (i.e. blonde), it tends to end up looking either like a peppermint or like a candle flame. hmmm. wonder what's up with that. anyway, loved your guest post! great job!

Karrie said...

Hi Gavin, I love the hair!

flip said...

I love hockey. But I prefer to watch it in person.

Dannyfiredragon said...

Love hockey and I really would love to see a game in the States or Canada, because it's much more fun than here.

Jennifer said...

Hi Gavin!

Too bad we only crossed paths just now. I was a sports writer for 11 years and could have gotten you into LOTS of locker rooms. :-) Funny thing, though, I met a Canadian in 2003 and I moved from Alabama to be with him in 2004. We were married in 2005 and had a baby in 2006. Small world, eh?

Jennifer in Ontario

P.S. I was always very professional in the locker rooms, never did anything appropriate. But my goodness, I know EXACTLY what you mean. It leaves nothing to the imagination. :-)

Jennifer said...

Whoops, I meant I never did anything inappropriate. Of course, my thoughts weren't always appropriate. :-)