Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Excerpt #2 for Deal With This

DEAL WITH THIS
Excerpt #2 by Lucy Monroe ©2007
Kensington Brava - November 27, 2007
ISBN 0-7582-1180-5



Jillian watched Alan for several seconds in silence and then seemed to come to an internal decision. "So, you want to dance?"

He didn't answer right away, his brain fighting with his body for control.

"It's a slow one. All you have to do is stand there and hold me." She smiled reassuringly.

Dancing wasn't the problem, but he wasn't going to tell her that. Holding her was the problem. It was going to be sheer torture, but he knew he was going to do it. Even as his brain was telling him what a bad idea this was, his legs were shifting...his body coming to his feet.

Surprise and then something he couldn't quite decipher chased across Jillian's expressive features. But she stood quickly and led the way onto the subtly lit dance floor. Sienna was nearby with a guy who looked like he could play wide receiver for the Miami Dolphins. Gavin was dancing with Perry, but Alan didn't see Hank. Jillian turned to face him and put her arms out and he stopped noticing anyone else.

Damn the woman was beautiful. It wasn't just her peaches and cream complexion with the smattering of sexy freckles, or the curves that he wanted to taste and touch. Her beauty shone from the inside.

She was sweet. She was vibrant.

She was a suspect.

But right now, that little fact was the last one his mind wanted to catalog.

He pulled her into his arms with practiced ease, only realizing he should have kept his distance as her body was pressed enticingly against his.

A small gasp escaped her, that strange something flickering in her eyes again. "I thought you didn't dance much."

"I didn't say that." he said as he moved their bodies to the sensual strains of the music in a rhythm that fed his craving for her with dangerous intensity.

"You hesitated about dancing with me."

"I think you know why, Jillian."

She was silent for several seconds and then sighed. "Because we're attracted to each other?"

"Yes."

"I won't break my own rule."

"I'm not asking you to." Not yet.

"Tell me something?"

"Maybe."

She smiled at that. "I've heard a lot of bad press about reporters."

"Hasn't everyone?"

"Are you one of the good guys, or do you use subterfuge to get the story when you want it bad enough?"

"Who says good guys never practice deception?" He'd long ago come to terms with the roles he had to play for his job.

Only idealists and innocents had the luxury of truly believing the ends never justified the means. Most people lived their lives the best way they knew how and sometimes had to compromise for the greater good. At least he still believed in the greater good, which meant he had maintained some of his early idealism. Go him.

24 comments:

Stacy S said...

Great excerpt! Can't wait for this book.

Stacy~ said...

Oh this sounds soooo good!

CrystalGB said...

Great excerpt. :)

Stefanie said...

Oh man, this is a great excerpt!!!!!

Susan said...

Wonderful excerpt! More please! :)

lidia said...

Lucy, You sure like to tease us don't you! Hopefully the bookstore in my area will have this in stock soon!

Allison said...

LOVE the excerpt(s) but the wait is painful! But I'm strong. I can take a little pain! Thanks Lucy. Can't wait for the next one.

Brandy said...

Love the excerpt. Can't wait until this is released!

robynl said...

thanks for another great excerpt Lucy.

Kelley Nyrae said...

OMG! Love this excerpt, Lucy. I can't wait to read this one.

Jennifer Y. said...

Can't wait to read it!

Jane said...

Really enjoyed the excerpt.

Estella said...

Can't wait to get this book!

Ann M. said...

Great excerpt. Have the book on my wishlist on Amazon.com to remind me to look for it when it is released.

Amy said...

Love the excerpt. The next 14 day's can't go by fast enough!

kim h said...

sounds so hot Lucy, cant wait

Pat L. said...

Great excerpt. And the cover is so hot.

Dev said...

I'm looking forward to it.

Lucy Monroe said...

LOL Okay...so I do love to tease, but come on...I've been waiting forever for this book to come out too and find out what you all think. I'm such a goof...I really can't wait.

Mega hugs,
Lucy

Dena said...

I can't wait too, your so funny Lucy.

Cherie J said...

Great excerpt!

Amy said...

13 day's and counting. I can hardly wait!

Lily said...

Thanks for that special preview :)

Judy F said...

Its one smoking hot book....