Monday, November 05, 2007

Deal With This - Excerpt #1

I didn't include the prologue with the Chapter One excerpt on my site...thought you all might like to read it. :)
DEAL WITH THIS
Excerpt #1 by Lucy Monroe ©2007
Kensington Brava - November 27, 2007
ISBN 0-7582-1180-5


PROLOGUE


The elderly security guard for Frost Productions drove toward home, his thoughts in a whirl. What had that grip and the producer been doing in the studio so late together? The grip hadn't been signed in on the security log and when the guard had asked the producer about it, the man had gotten quite hostile.

What should he do about the discrepancy, if anything? He was months away from retirement and he didn't want to do anything to mess it up. He was looking forward to fulfilling his dream to travel Canada in a motor home with his wife of forty years. Making waves only weeks from his last day on the job was the last thing he needed to do.

Martha would have said the same thing.

He nodded to himself. Yes. He would simply let sleeping dogs lie. No sense in stirring up trouble when it was more likely to get him reprimanded than not. Especially considering who was involved with the breach of security protocol.

He turned his signal on to take the next off ramp and pressed the brake to slow his car. But the car didn't slow and his thoughts shattered as his attempts remained futile and the car began to pick up momentum on the slight downgrade.

***

The next morning a small mention was made in the paper of a fatal automobile accident. The driver's name was not mentioned, but his job at Frost Productions as a security guard was.
Nothing was said about a break-in that happened the same night because it was not reported to the local police. One of the harddrives that stored film footage had been erased completely and the executives were furious. The discovery that only one scene would have to be re-shot did not improve anyone's mood.

Two men, however were pleased. A piece of information that should never have gotten transferred to the harddrive had been and in an effort to make sure no remnant of the file remained, the entire harddrive had been wiped.

It was a pity the old man had to meet with an accident on his way home, but neither of the other men wanted to risk him relaying the fact that the grip had been on the lot the night before...or the producer for that matter.

Snipping his brake-line had been even easier than it looked in the movies. Fortunately, both men had enough experience with show biz to do the job right and the one who had done the cutting had even taken the time to make it look as close to a frayed line as he could.

When no one questioned the "accidental nature" of the man's death at the wheel of his car, they knew they'd done the job right.

29 comments:

Dev said...

Thanks, Lucy. But now I want more ~ it's going to be a long three weeks before I can get this.

Cathy said...

Looks like we are in for a very fun couple of weeks. Really enjoyed the excerpt and can't wait to read more.

Jennifer Y. said...

I can't wait to read this book!

Sewicked said...

Are you sure that we have to wait three whole weeks? Pleeeease.

lidia said...

Lucy,

I don't suppose that you are planning to post a little piece every day -- until we read the entire book? LOL ;-)

Susilien said...

Lucy,

Your just wanting us panting for "Deal With This". The problem is, I have been for several months already. Looking forward to your next great book.

Susilien

Sheena said...

Can't wait for this to come out...will be heading straight to the bookstore on the 27th.

Estella said...

Three weeks is too long to wait!

Lucy Monroe said...

LOL You've discovered my evil plot! Okay, what author *doesn't* want readers eager to read the next book? :) But seriously, I'm really glad you are all enjoying the excerpts. And, Lidia-hon, they will only be weekly. Sorry! But the Chapter One excerpt on my website is totally different from anything I'll be posting here. And the excerpt on my Author Spotlight on RT.com is different one as well (link to it is on my homepage on my website under news under the video clip - if you are interested).

Stephanie said...

I loved Satifaction Guaranteed! I was already anxiously awaiting Deal with This. Now, I want it even more. Fabulous excerpt!

Brandy said...

Love the excpert, HATE the bad guys already! *g*

Judy F said...

run run run and order this book. its awesome. Loved Alan and Jillian. OH and my Henri... LOL

Stacy S said...

Sounds great! Looking forward to getting DWT soon.

ruth said...

Sounds wonderful! Am really interested in reading this book.

Amy said...

The next three weeks can't go by fast enough. Loved the excerpt.

catslady said...

Thanks so much for a great excerpt!

Chantal said...

I should not have read that because now I want to read more more more. And I have to wait! lol

Virginia said...

Deal With This sounds like a great read. I can't wait to read it.

Eva said...

Thanks a lot for the excerpt, Lucy-It sounds great as usual! :)

orelukjp0 said...

Thank you for whetting our appetites with the excerpt. Can't wait to read DEAL WITH THIS.

CrystalGB said...

Great excerpt. :)

Colleen Love said...

Denyse Bridger posted on her group about your newest book out, so I thought Id drop in.
Loved the excerpt! Sounds like a great read!

Lucy Monroe said...

Smooches to you all! Just wait till you read the next one...to be posted next Tuesday rather than Monday as we have a guest on Monday.

Stefanie said...

Oh man, great excerpt! I just can't wait to read the book! :P

Cherie J said...

Great excerpt! Thanks for sharing.

Phyllis said...

I have had the honor of reading this and it will knock your socks off!! Ms. Lucy has really done it this time. I hope it goes to number one, as it's well deserved. I LOVED IT. I'm not even gonna tell you about... LOL!!

Lucy Monroe said...

Thanks again, gals! And Phyllis...I love how tease them even better than I do! :)

brownone said...

Wow...what a tease!! You mean I have to wait three weeks?!

anne said...

Thanks. Sounds great! Can't wait for more excerpts.