Thursday, October 11, 2007

Writing Inside a Ziploc Bag

First of all, thanks to Lucy for the invitation. I love the chance to chat with other readers and writers.

Which brings me to the topic of this post. I began writing in a Ziploc bag. And believe me, it’s hard to breathe in there. It’s also lonely. I didn’t have any writer friends. I didn’t have the nerve to interview police officers and firefighters for my work in progress – I mean, I wasn’t really a writer, was I? But then a miracle happened. I attended a writing workshop and somebody opened up that baggie and released me like a genie (without the fabulous outfit and magical powers).

Since then, connecting with people has been one of the greatest joys writing has brought me. I’ve been able to meet some of my favorite authors face to face (thrill of thrills!). I’ve made some of my best friends through writing. I’ve interviewed some of the most interesting and fantastic people during my research on subjects such as: search and rescue dogs (got to be buried in concrete rubble and play victim for this one); autism; and how to start a fire without leaving evidence of arson (I had to promise not to put that bit to practical use). Heck, once somebody actually suspected me of industrial espionage – in Iowa! (Managed to get that one straightened out before the authorities were called.)

But best of all, I’ve been able to talk with the people who read my books. There is absolutely nothing in this world better than talking to someone (either in person or via email and letters) about your labor of love and how it affected them. Now, I’m not saying it’s all praise and glory – that’s not the point. (I’ve had plenty of shame-on-yous, and there was an error on page such and such.) The point is sharing the story, talking about the process, exploring other people’s ideas. It’s about talking about books … to people who are passionate about books.

I have six published novels, with the seventh, PITCH BLACK, due out in June, ’08. Each one has brought someone special into my life.

I invite everyone who reads this to open up a line of communication – whether you’ve read my work or not. If you’re reading this blog, we have something in common. We love books!

15 comments:

Judy said...

Susan - I am so glad you out of that zip lock bag! I have really enjoyed your work. I am looking forward to Pitch Black and hoping it comes out earlier than expected.

Kelley Nyrae said...

Great blog!

Lucy Monroe said...

I totally agree...I loved this blog as I read it and prepared it for posting. There are so many writers doing exactly that...writing inside a Ziploc bag. I loved the way that you put that, Susan. We need to stay connecte with one another and our readers. One of my greatest joys is reading a message from someone who was touched by one of my stories...I know a heart connection was made and for me that's a huge chunk of what life is all about. :)

Amy said...

Hi Susan, I have never read one of your books. Can you tell us something about the type of books your write? I am so glad Lucy started these blog's. I am finding so many new to me authors. I read at least one book per day and it is fantastic to find "new" author's who's books I enjoy.

Susan Crandall said...

Hi Amy,

My books are women's ficiton, very character driven, but with a dash of mystery or suspense to flavor them. I write stories about real people with real problems and how they find their way to the other side (and their happy ending!)

I've been pretty lucky with the reception of my heroes in particular -- a few of them have been voted Hunk of the Month on a romance website.

However, Pitch Black will be a romantic suspense. I really had a great time writing that one!

Susan Crandall said...

Thanks, Kelley!

Amy said...

Thanks Susan, I will buy one of your books to try. Can you recommend one to start out with? My big thing is that the book have a happy ending with the hero and heroine.

Susan Crandall said...

Amy,

A few of the books are currently out of print. I'd suggest either A KISS IN WINTER or ON BLUE FALLS POND (this was a RITA nominee this year). And of course, all of my books have a happy ending for our dear hero and heroine!

Brandy said...

Thank you for the recommendation of books of yours to try! As a book lover/reader *G* it's always fun to find a new to me author!

Stacy~ said...

Hi Susan, I admit to never having read your books, but I thought there were more than 6. I'll have to look into what's out there.

Anyway, I like the way you think, and I'm glad writing has been such a great experience for you. Everyone should find something rewarding in what they do, whatever that may be. Great post :)

Susan Crandall said...

Thanks Stacy and Brandy. I do love writing, can't imagine my life without it. But, like I said, it's the readers that make it all worth while!

Estella said...

I have read seveal of your books and am looking forward to your new one.

Amy said...

Thanks for the recommendation Susan. I will pick one of your books up the next time I go book shopping.

Judy F said...

First off HI SUSAN.... You know I have been hounding you for a new book. Susan is one of my favorite authors as well as an awesome person.
Her books stay with you long after you are finished. Very heartfelt.

and Stacy---I have pimped her books to you... you are a bad girl... LOL

Susan Crandall said...

That's what I like to hear ... lots of book pimping! Thanks, Judy F.!! Tell everyone in Cincinnati I said hello!