Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Welcome Guest Blogger...Brand NEW Author Lavada Dee

Lavada has been a dear friend for years and you cannot imagine my excitement when she sold her first book! I practically begged her to come guest blog with you all. She's a gem and her writing is a treasure! ~ WELCOME, Lavada. :)

A Rose by Any Other Name
by Lavada Dee
While Shakespeare in his classic romance Romeo and Juliet could pen this beautiful passage, our modern day cyberspace says not on your life. Primarily I’m talking about domain names as I’m sure we all agree Shakespeare had and has it right.

Acquiring a domain name isn’t expensive or hard but getting the one you want may be. I use my “real” first name and middle name for a pen name. As Lavada isn’t that common I didn’t think I’d have any trouble securing it. However I took a few precautions that you may not be aware of. When searching to see if the domain name you want is available be prepared to purchase it immediately if it is available. Why, because there are programs that can be employed to log searched names. The domain names might then be bought for investment resale. This means a name you might have purchased for under $10.00 a year can cost whatever the marketer can get for it.

Is this a common problem? I’m not sure. For awhile it was or least there were warnings being broadcasted over the lists. I think it may depend on the name but why take a chance. This is especially true if you want to acquire the .com or .net extension for your name or have a catchy name that might be used for more than a pen name.

I hope the subject of this blog will be new information to some of you. When I first started writing I thought all I had to do was write a good story. Then I thought all you had to do was write a good story and sell it. Silly me, that’s only the beginning. In order to be a successful author you need to be experienced and effective in marketing and promotion. Keep up on technology. Participate in the industry. Build name recognition. It’s like any business you need to take care of it and it’s an ongoing learning process.

This is my first attempt at blogging and right now I seem to be floundering in a lot of firsts. This Old House was released by Asylett Press on the 15th of September. To read an excerpt or blurb visit me at https://lavadadee.com/ . This Old House is the first (yes another first) manuscript I wrote. I have two more submitted to publishers, another contemporary and a romantic suspense. I love writing stories with sexy alpha hero’s who are strong enough to show their feminine side and heroines who love them.

Lucy, Thank you for having me as guest on your blog. Your support and encouragement make me feel very humble. As busy as you are you always have time to be a friend, and mentor as well as contributing enormously to this wonderful industry we’re in.

Regards and many Thanks,
Lavada Dee
This Old House (Asylett Press- Sept 2007)

12 comments:

Tricia Jones said...

Hi Lavada

I didn't know that about people logging searched names and then charging ... very interesting.

Here's wishing you loads more exciting 'firsts' and the very best of luck with This Old House.

Kate Davies said...

Hey Lavada!

Great to "see" you here. Guys, Lavada is right about domain names. The day after I announced my first sale, and my pen name, I went to purchase the domain. It was gone -- and the tracking information showed that it had been purchased only hours after my announcement had been made. The purchaser? Some company out of the Caribbean. I later heard that it was one of many that trolls for 'names' and buys them up, hoping to make a profit at some time.

Which is why there's a dash in my web address. :)

Lucy Monroe said...

Yikes...and those "trolls" don't stop once you've gotten your domain either. I can't tell you how many emails I've gotten from outfits like that who make it sound like they are my domain host and it's time to renew...months before renewal is due. Lavada put me wise to this years ago when we were working together on our RWA chapter's website and I haven't gotten fooled once, but my PA almost was. Grr...

Hugs to all and welcome again to Lavada!

Lucy

Estella said...

Congrats on your first published book, Lavada!

Angie-la said...

Hi Lavada!
I used to go to school with a girl named Lavada. You are right, it is not common but it is very pretty and unusual!
Congrats on the book and may there be many more!
Hugs!
Angie

Brandy said...

Congratulations Lavada on your firsts!

Stacy S said...

Congrats on your release! I actually knew 2 Lavada's in my small town. But they are the only ones. I have heard about the names like for actors and stuff like that. Kinda strange.

Cherie J said...

Congrats on getting your first book published. Did not realize how tough authors have it. Sounds complicated.

Stacy~ said...

Wow, fascinating stuff. And great advice to newbie writers. Thanx for sharing your experiences. And congrats on selling your first book!

tam said...

Congratulations on your first published book.

Chantal said...

Congrats on your sale Lavada. It must be very exciting for you :)

Thats interesting news about domain names. Very sneaky of them.

LDee said...

Hi Everyone,
Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I appreciate the time each of you took to send a comment. I’m sorry I haven’t commented back individually to be honest this is my first experience with blogging. And, I love it so I intend to be a very frequent visitor to Lucy’s and will be looking for some others.

Lucy, Thank you for giving me this opportunity. I’ll bet you didn’t know you were going to have to educate me to boot.

Hugs to all of you.
Lavada