Tuesday, October 23, 2007

To Expo or Not to Expo...

That's the question I was trying to answer this weekend when I attended the 2007 Northwest Women's Show in Portland. The promise of 15,000 women coming through one place sounded oh so tempting. But I needed to know if it made sense to participate next year. And in the process of discovery, I had myself a very good time.


It all started when my friends Tisa and Floydene showed up at my door with Floy's daughter. I had um...forgotten the time and was out back in the hot tub. I ran around frantically getting ready while they waited patiently in my still torn up great room. But finally, we were on our way. We managed not to lose each other in the parking garage and got into the expo without having to wait in line. There's something to be said for going on Sunday afternoon. :) The Red Hat Society were putting on the entertainment on the main stage - wonderful Big Band tunes sung by voices reminicent of some of the all time greats like Rosemary Clooney and then a fabulous fashion show that I only caught glimpses of as we perused the stalls.


I took Drama Queen and that was wonderful, except she talked me into a lot of stuff - like throwing an Undercover Wear party in November. Yep, she's pretty persuasive. I'm sure the demonstrater loved having her job done for her by my dd. LOL Tisa and Floydene were great cohorts in crime...Floy having the same kind of fun with her dd I was having with mine. ;-) You should have seen that beautiful girl after one session with a make-up artist. Oy...not hard to understand why the model agency stopped her and Floydene as they were walking by the booth.


Tisa and I talked about the feasibility of me doing promotion at a show like this and what I could hope to get out of it. Hubcap came along for recon as well, and graciously took pictures for us. He also carried the bags, and man did I have a few! There were wonderful things for sale, and very interesting information booths. It was an amazing experience and I'm trying to work out how to participate to the best effect next year. But one thing I know...as long as I've got friends along as fun as Tisa and Floydene and our sweet girls, it'll be a blast!

So, let's talk friendship...what's the most recent fun thing you've done with friends - or something you plan to do very soon? My next big "get together" is going to be with my mom, Drama Queen, and my two nieces (all of whom I consider friends)...I'm taking them to see Disney Princesses on Ice. It was DQ's idea of course. LOL

Hugs,
Lucy

P.S. The winner of Michelle's giveaway is Stacy S! Hon, please email me off my website with your mailing info so I can pass it on to Michelle. :)

16 comments:

Amy said...

A few friends and I get together every few months and just go shopping and out to lunch without kid's and hubbies. We alway's have a great time.

Stacy S said...

Thank you Lucy & Michelle!

It sounds like you had a great time. I haven't really done anything lately. My girlfriend & I have been trying to do something lately. But something always comes up. Probably going shopping soon though.

Jen in WA said...

I'm heading over to Seattle this weekend for the Greater Seattle Romance Writters bookfair. It'll be my first big booksigning. I mentioned it to a friend a work and we decided to go together. I'm so excited.

Brandy said...

This is where it gets a bit depressing. I have no close women friends. My shyness kinda keeps that from happening. However, my DH is my best friend and he and I had a nice weekend. *g*

Glad to know you had a wonderful time. Sounds like you'll be going next year too!

Stacy~ said...

I'm a loner most of the time, I like to do my own thing, but I have two sets of friends that like to get together about 3-4 times a year and catch up on life and have fun. We laugh so hard. With family and work and all that, it's so difficult most of the time for women to spend time with each other, so we try to make the most of it. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. Just dinner and each other.

Lucy Monroe said...

You know, I think one of the reasons online activity has grown so much is that it *is* hard to get together physically, but online at lease we can connect with each other. I'm just glad you're all here, connecting with me. :)

Estella said...

My best friend and I get together at least once a week for lunch.

AmyC said...

I'm alot like Stacy, a loner. The internet is my social life! Sad, but it's the way of things. And I don't mind all that much. I have met some really great people. People I call friends :). Now, if I could only get them to move here then I wouldn't be such a loner. I can't seem to find people with the same interests as me, but, even then, I'm still not much of a social person. It's nice that my mom has moved up here, because we can travel this part of the country together, attending functions like RAW, where we can meet awesome fans and writers like you! :)

What is an Undercover Wear party? Sounds interesting :).

Kate Davies said...

A couple weeks ago I drove a couple hours down the road to a very good friend's house for (as my youngest put it) a "playdate". It was loads of fun! :)

I need to do more of that. I'm part of a MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) group in town, but that may be going by the wayside because of deadlines and work schedules. I hate to say goodbye to it, but contracts (and family!) have to take precedence.

Judy F said...

My friend Ann and I went to a Sauerkraut festival. Mostly to look at all the crafts and eat. But also to talk for a few hours as we walked.

Lucy Monroe said...

I love events where I get to hang with other lovers of romance. :) But yep, Kate...definitely our "play dates" are very high on my list of fun things to do. Your youngest just cracks me up!

And Undercover Wear is sexy underthings, lingerie and toys. Too fun!

Hugs to all,
Lucy

Lucy Monroe said...

Oh...and I meant to say, JudyF...my dh would LOVE a saurkraut festival!

Brandy said...

Yes, God Bless the internet. I have met lovely people online that I do call friends.
And I get to "meet" my favorite authors! (Hint, hint, HI LUCY!) *G*

Cherie J said...

Recently, I spent a whole week with my twin siter who is my best friend. We were celebrating our birthday on October 8th and my baby girl's first birthday on October 10th. We had a fantastic time together. We went out to eat on our birthday and just spent lots of time just chatting and enjoying just being together. It was so much fun.

ellie said...

I spend time each weekend with a different friend. Since we all work it is a great time to catch up. In a bookstore and coffee shop combo place which I love.

Phyllis said...

Hi Lucy. dd and family

Last weekend I took my daughter to the movies to see "Why Did I Get Married?". Everyone should go see this. Wonderful movie...