Saturday, October 06, 2007

Thoughts on a Rainy Saturday

Well, it's been a busy week, no? We've had some great guest bloggers and I've been writing like mad in order to finish my current WIP on time. Throw in an impromptu radio interview, my daughter and her boyfriend breaking up and my son deciding he's too smart for school and well, you've got a tiny slice of my life. LOL

The interview was great and I think Phil Harris will turn out to be a friend. He's witty and culturally relevant and he cares about the world we live in. All good things in my book. He's also an author and I'll be reading a book of his soon. It's a retelling of "A Christmas Carol" and you all know what a sucker I am for Christmas. Make the protagonist a teenager in trouble and you've got me hook, line and sinker.

But that's not what this post is about...it's just a quick reflection on the past week. I need to be writing, but I felt and even deeper need to connect to you all personally. Last night was drama central around here with oldest daughter and boyfriend parting ways. She's hurting, but I admire her strength is standing firm by her principles. My son, who may very well be too smart for school, nevertheless agreed with my arguments on the necessity not only of going, but doing well. Could have a tiny bit to do with the fact he'll be grounded until he's fifty if he tries a different route. ;-)

Dh [to the right with son] is his usual wonderful self, which is not precisely perfect so much as flawed in all the right places. LOL He and all the boys (my son, the nephew living with us, our two long term exchange students and Papa - dh's daddy) are all fishing at the lake today. In the rain...and the mud (last fishing experience son came home covered in mud from head to toe, his legs literally caked with it because he'd stepped in several sink holes - this time he wore rubber boots - smart boy) and you know, I don't think they care. They just like fishing.

They were all very excited about it last night, especially Papa who I think could have been happy with a few more kids of his own. LOL

Youngest daughter [to the left w/ her sissy] went to a dance last night and came home happy - until she got righteously indignant on her older sister's behalf. You gotta love loyalty. It's way better than teen girls arguing, I'm here to tell you. :)

Me? I'm feeling so happy. You see, this past year? Very, very hard. Health issues that weren't life threatening, but were frustrating and never over when I thought they were. But finally? I'm me again and boy does that feel good. If the Great Indoor Flood had happened three months ago? I would have taken to my bed and not come out until everything was over. Now, I'm laughing about it and sharing office space with the family as it's the only unaffected public room in our house. (Try writing a book with six teenagers in the room - it's been interesting...LOL)

Anyway, I just wanted to share with you all how good it feels to *know* I will finish this book on time because the writing is coming more naturally again and no matter what is happening in life now (and there is *plenty*), I'm not getting overwhelmed. I'm praying and I know He's listening and that gives me so much peace.

Love and blessings to you all,

Lucy :)

P.S. I just got this link. Between Your Sheets interviewed me about what went on between the sheets of Annabelle's Courtship and I thought you all might be interested. Click here to read the interview.

13 comments:

Chantal said...

I'm glad that things are back to normal for you.
Sorry to hear about your DD and her boyfriend. Sounds like it's for the best though.

I though I had a full house with my DH and three boys. You win with all your pets, kids, exchange students and relatives. I bet you are never bored, lol :-)

lidia said...

Lucy,

You have no idea how happy I was to read this post! You are "back" and that is a wonderful thing.

Many, many years ago when my DD was less than 10 the two of us were shopping. She loved horses and picked out a simple little cross stitch plaque for her room (of course for me to make--LOL) - it is a carousel horse and the word on it are "Life is full of ups and downs." How true that is. Glad to hear that your life now has more ups than downs!

Sending many {{{HUGS}}} to you, your family and your extended guests!

Lidia :-)

lidia said...

Lucy, special {{{HUGS}}} to your oldest DD. Having gone through that with my own, I know how tough it must be for her.

Maura Anderson said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better and things are going well, despite the challenges life always throws to us.


HUGE HUGS

LM's Drama Queen said...

Lucy Monroe's youngest daughter here....
Just wanted to say I am soooo happy my mommy is feeling better. YAY! And don't worry...my sissy's ex-bf is going doooown. LOL. Well hopefully you will be seeing a blog from me soon, but until then...LATA!

Brandy said...

LOVE that your Daughters stick together. I have no doubt that the Ex will "go down". *g*
Out of all the guest bloggers and all the other posts, I like your 'slice of life' posts the best. Thanks for sharing and HUGS to DD.

Kelley Nyrae said...

Lucy,
It makes me so happy to hear things are going so well for you! You totally deserve it. All your happy posts bring a smile to my face.

Sounds like your are very blessed with a wonderful family. I love how your daughters stick together and I hope that for my girls one day! I know right now my girl can't wait to meet her new sister. Two months and counting :)

Kate Davies said...

Thanks so much for sharing, Lucy! I'm glad to hear that things are starting to get back to normal for you -- although with your full house, "normal" is relative, isn't it? LOL

Hugs to DD on her breakup, and hugs to LM's Drama Queen (love that!) for being such a great sister and daughter.

You all rock!

Amy said...

Lucy, I am glad you are feeling better and your health issues have been resolved and I am sorry to hear about your oldests break up.

Im's drama queen, Your go girl. Sisters have to stick together!~BG~

Estella said...

Your "slices of life" blogs are wonderful!

Judy F said...

Hey Lucy, I am so happy for you that things are back to "normal" Sorry about your dd and the BF. Hopefully she will bounce back. I love the Dramaqueen. LOL

Life sure throws you for a loop doesn't it sometimes. My mom was in a car accident a week ago, she was ok very banged up. Darn air bag. Now some issues with my dad are playing some major stress on the family.

I just would like a few days with no worries. LOL

Lucy Monroe said...

LOL Chantal, nope - definitely never bored around here. And thanks!

Lidia - you are a dear, dear friend. THANK YOU!

Smooches and thanks, Maura!

Thanks, Brandy...I've schedule two guests a week for the foreseeable future, which should still leave plenty of days for me to share with you all and I find I need that. :)

Kelley...eeep...I'm so excited. Two months??? So close. And thank you!

LOL Kate...you are so right, normal is definitely a relative term. Smooches!

Amy...THANKS!

Thank you, Estella...dh and I were talking about this community of women who are my friends and yet I've never met most of you all. It's very special.

{{{{HUGS}}}} JudyF to both you and your parents. I'll be praying for you all. :) You're right, there's always something.

I will pass all your good wishes onto eldest DD and "You Go Girls" onto my Dramaqueen (guess whose idea it was for her to guest blog?). xoxo

Lucy Monroe said...

Oh...and I finished the book and sent it off to my editor at midnight last night!!!!