Sunday, October 28, 2007

Nesting and Other Instincts

Okay, so I've got this thing about having little nests around the house. Places I can sit and write (or read), where I can spread my things out and just be me. We're still living in chaos, which means that all my nests, but the one in my office (commonly referred to around here as "the cockpit"), are gone. And my office (being the only common living area not under remodeling siege from the big flood) is overrun with people. Lovely, wonderful, I'm-so-happy-to-be-around, but noisy, distracting and impossible to ignore people.

And this is where blessings come disguised. What happened was that a few months ago, Hubcap broke one of the reclining wingback chairs I keep in my office for visitors (even when the house isn't under seige I tend to get a lot of those - kids doing homework, sisters stopping by to say hi, etc.). It wasn't his fault really. He was taking an innocent little nap when he must have moved or something, but he had the chair fully reclined and it tipped backwards. So did he...at the time the chair was in front of my bookcases. You can imagine what happened next. He got a bath in books. Once I established he was okay...

Went like this -
"Honey, are you all right?"
"Wh...uh...okay? Yeah, okay." (He was asleep, remember.)

Well, anyway, once I knew he wasn't permanently injured I about died laughing. I could only see his legs...everything else was covered in books.

Once my amusement was down to a few snorts and chortles, I helped him up - picked up the chair and discovered it was broken. That meant I needed new visitor chairs for my office. It took me a while to getting around to ordering them, but I finally did. (Not reclining chairs this time for obvious reasons.) And they arrived the day before yesterday!!! This meant that I had one extra wing back recliner to do with as I liked. And I liked making myself a nest...this time in my bedroom. I bought a small half moon table to go beside it and now I have a place to hide and write when I need it - a place to read books while hubby is sleeping and a place to just chill and be me.

Happy sigh...

Another happy sigh comes from the knowledge that we've got a wonderful guest blogger scheduled for tomorrow! None other than the amazing Donna Kauffman!!! Yep, that's right...that ultimate diva of the sexy romance is coming by to hang with us for a bit. Lovely, don't you think?

Oh, and the "other instincts" mentioned in my title...my strong urge to give things away of course. Last week's blog winner (drawn from all the comments made on all the post Sun - Sat) is:

==> Joyce <==

Hon, please email me off my website and I'll send your signed copy of "The Rancher's Rules" ASAP.

This week's blog winner can look forward to a book from my prize shelves (written by someone other than me) and some fab lip gloss - and a piece or two of chocolate, of course. :)

Hugs to all,
Lucy

P.S. You might note that I'm not writing as fast with my office as inundated as it is - but I am steadily climbing toward done on Phoebe and Spiros' story.

P.P.S. Crystal posted a couple of super reviews of Annabelle's Courtship and Meagan's Chance on her blog. If you'd like to read them, click here.

15 comments:

kim h said...

yea donna, love her books. count me in

robynl said...

poor hubby but I'm sure it was worth a few laughs.
congrats Joyce!!!

tetewa said...

i Donna glad to see you here today, I visit your blog daily also. The next book I'm getting ready to read is an ARC I received from Lori Wilde, Once Smitten, Twice Shy. I love ARC's and I'm looking forward to this read.

tetewa said...

Sorry should have said HI Donna!

anne said...

Hi Donna.
I am reading Shoot the Moon by Billie Letts. Great to see you here today.

Stacy~ said...

Aw, poor hubby (giggle), but I'm glad you got your nest back, at least one of them.

Estella said...

Congrats Joyce!

Amy said...

Poor Hubcap. My hubby tips our recliner over alot sleeping in it. Fortunally he has not broken it yet.

Lucy Monroe said...

LOL Yes...poor Hubcap. :-P But it *is* nice to have a nest again. :)

Cherie J said...

Congrats Joyce!

Stacy S said...

Poor Hubcap! That's too funny! Congrats on getting a nesting spot back.

Brandy said...

I have one "nest" in the entire house and it's a nice chair with an ottoman. I have my laptop, a table for a drink and whatever book I am currently reading. I love it, so I am VERY glad you have a new nest in your bedroom.
Sorry hubcab broke the chair, but good golly you should have gotten a picture of that! *G*

Judy F said...

Hi Lucy, glad Hubcap is ok. and that you waited a bit to laugh.

I love little places to read. My fav is my chair in the living room.

Nathalie said...

Lucy you are too generous!

Lucy Monroe said...

Hubcap so appreciates all the sympathy...maybe I didn't give him enough when it happened? I *should* have gotten a picture. :)