Friday, October 19, 2007

Guest Blogger...Karen Whiddon

Hi, my name is Karen Whiddon. Thanks so much to Lucy for extending me the invitation to be a guest blogger.

I write "The Pack" books for Silhouette Nocturne and have just started a new series for Silhouette Romantic Suspense. I've also written Fae books for Lovespell. Currently I have a RS Bulletproof Marriage out from Silhouette Romantic Suspense.

While trying to decide what to blog about today, I decided to write as a reader rather than a writer. We all love to read - heck, that's what makes most of us authors decide to write. I personally (like so many others) have a huge TBR stack. I enjoy many different kinds of books, from romance to horror to non-fiction. If you've read my recent blogs on my web page or myspace page, you'll note that I've been raving about a book I've just finished reading by Ted Kerasote called Merle's Door - Lessons From a Freethinking Dog. This is one of the rare books I've finished and immediately bought another copy to give as a gift. If you love a dog, get this book. The author is an amazingly descriptive writer and, while I didn't always agree with his theories, puts in many interesting scientific facts.

But the real treat is the love story. Yes, love story. Between a man and his special, special dog. After finishing this book, I wept. Wanted to immediately start re-reading. I felt like I knew the author and his friends, and most especially, Merle the Magnificent. I actually wanted to contact Mr. Kerasote to find out if he's ever gotten another dog. I didn't, but I wanted to.

Days after finishing this book, it's stayed with me. I find myself thinking about it daily. I've even gone to the author's website (Tedkerasote.com) and view pictures of Merle. Merle passed away three years ago, but I've truly just gotten to know him and mourn him. Ah, what a story.

Reading this non-fiction book made me aspire to do the same thing in my own fiction work. Inspire a reader. Write a story that lingers. Invite readers into a world they don't want to leave. I'm currently revising two scheduled books, the first Black Sheep P.I. will be out in May 2008 from Silhouette Romantic Suspense. The second, Dance of the Wolf will be released in August 2008 from Silhouette Nocturne.

How about you? What books have you read lately that made you want to rush out and buy a second copy and gift a friend? I'm always looking for good reading material.

Sincerely,

Karen Whiddon

10 comments:

Amy said...

My most recent read is Lover Revealed by J.R. Ward. This is a new to me author and I am really enjoying the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. The last books I gave as a gift were Lucy Monroe's Satisfaction Guaranteed and Diana Palmer's Lawman.

Lucy Monroe said...

Well, you all are probably going to laugh, but the most recent book in this regard is actually Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus. I'm so in love with this book. It beats any online thesauri I've found hands down and all my print ones too. It is so much better than the Oxford, Websters or even Roget's Collegiate Thesaurus, it's not even funny. I *highly* recommend it! (And thanks, Amy! Huge smooches to you!)

Kate Davies said...

Don't you love book moments like that? For me, the last book to hit me that strongly was Force Of Nature by Suz Brockmann. I read the book, flipped back to page one, and read it again. Then I made my neighbor read it. :)

She's got a Christmas book coming out at the end of the month, and I know I'll be getting extra copies for my fellow Suz fanatics.

Anna Adams said...

Karen, if my kitty weren't getting to a kind of worrisome age, I'd rush out for this book--but I love what you said about wanting to inspire readers--it transcends genres. As a writer and a reader, each time I open a book, I'm hoping to get that feeling that no world exists except the one between the pages.

My most recent everyone-on-earth-must-read-this book is The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets, by Eva Rice. Set most charmingly in 50s London, it's part love story, family saga, best friends forever, and a hint of mystery. And I couldn't put it down from page 2, on!

I'm going to look at the thesaurus, Lucy. I've been searching for the perfect one!

Karen Whiddon said...

Wow - this is awesome! Amy, I actually have all the JR Ward books in my TBR stack - and need to get to them soon!

Kare, I enjoy Suzanne Brockmann too. I know there are at least two of her books in my TBR stack.

ANd finally Lucy, I second Anna on the Thesaurus. I will have to take a look at that one. I already have the Roget's Collegiate.

anne said...

I thoroughly enjoyed the novel, Any Bitter thing, by Monica Wood. Another fave of mine was Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen. Enjoy.

Brandy said...

One of my recent reads that made me laugh and cry, was Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner. I'm sorry to say I was late in discovering this authors voice, but have since made up for it. Um, another book was Lucy's The Real Deal, the characters were outstanding! And one last book is Jill Shalvis' Get a Clue, I laughed so hard at that book my chest hurt!

Lily said...

Rush in a bookstore to win another book... I never do that! Though I have really enjoyed is Spying in High Heels by Gemma Halliday and I am going to read the suite now.

Joyce said...

I found Play Dirty by Sandra Brown an awesome read. The topic a disgraced football player was not appealing to me but she is a must read for me and I am ever so glad I did. The writing was fastantic.

kim h said...

any hot blaze books or leslie kelly book.