Thursday, November 01, 2007

Guest Blogger - Vicki Lewis Thompson

Thank you, Lucy, for inviting me to be a guest on your blog on this first day of November! My mother had a superstition that you’re supposed to say “rabbit, rabbit” right when you wake up on the first day of every month. Mostly I forget, but when I remember, I do it, because I’m as superstitious as the next person.

I take that back. The next person might be superstitious about black cats and I’m definitely not. I live with a black cat, and I picked her on purpose. She came with the name of Eve, which probably is short for All Hallows Eve. I kept the name because it suits her. She’s a princess.

So, was Halloween scary enough for everyone? I’m one of those people who hates to be scared. I was dragged screaming out of a zombie movie when I was a kid. I haven’t seen any of the Friday the 13th movies, or The Shining or Blair Witch Project. It took me years to go into the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland, but once I realized it was the kind of scary I could tolerate, one geared to a five-year-old, I loved it.

When OVER HEXED came out, many readers asked if it was scary, and I rushed to assure them it wasn’t. The matchmaking witch and wizard are on the goofy side, and the Dragon claims to be ADD. The book’s sexy – I can do sexy all day long – but it won’t give you nightmares. In order to accomplish that, I’d have to give myself nightmares, and I don’t wanna!

This past week, when other people watched creepy movies and dressed up like vampires with fake blood dripping from their fangs, I ate chocolate and wore a cute sweatshirt with a costumed baby chick on the front along with the words “Chick or Treat.” That’s my style.

So how about you? Do you love to scare yourself to death, or are you chicken like me? If you like to be scared, what’s the most frightening movie you’ve ever seen?

Vicki
http://www.vickilewisthompson.com/
http://www.myspace.com/vickilewisthompson

23 comments:

Lucy Monroe said...

Hey, Vicki...welcome! Hmm...I'm not into scaring myself either. I've only ever watched one horror movie and that was enough for me. Never again. LOL Though reading chilling stuff...that's another story. ;-)

Brandy said...

Welcome Vicki! I'm a big 'ol chicken myself. I have tried many times to watch Rose Red and end up hiding behind my chair or in another room, while my 12 year old daughter thinks the movie is "cool". *g* And after watching it? I have to have all the lights on, so no scary movies if I can help it! Have a great day and may your November be special!

Stacy~ said...

Hi Vicki! I love seeing you all over the place, yet I still haven't gotten your book. What is wrong with me? I think it's the procrastinator thing - gets me into trouble.

I sometimes like to scare myself with a movie or something. I know, it's weird, but I like that spine-tingling feeling every once in awhile.

Stacy S said...

Welcome Vicki! I do like scary movies sometimes. But I'm still a chicken. Loved Overhexed!

Laura J. said...

I'm a chicken and proud to admit it! I did watch The Shining when I was a teen. Never again. Give me a good ol romantic comedy anytime (movies and books both).

Vicki Lewis Thompson said...

Good morning, and rabbit, rabbit! Just sending this to make sure it goes through okay. Be right back!

Vicki Lewis Thompson said...

Yay, it works! I forgot my Google password so had to create a new account. :-(

Lucy, thanks again for asking me to blog today! As for reading chilling stuff, I can do that easier than watching it. There's something about seeing it in living color that scares the bejeesus out of me.

Brandy, I'm convinced kids these days are tougher! My daughter watched two movies last night -- The Legend of Sleepy Hollow with Johnny Depp, and The Nightmare Before Christmas. I watched the second one with her, but skipped the first. Too bloody. Ugh.

Stacy, hurry and get the book before the goblins get you, LOL!

Stacy S., I just thought of this -- if we weren't chicken, then scary movies wouldn't be scary. What a concept. I'm so happpy you liked Over Hexed!

Laura J, I've seen trailers of The Shining, and that's enough for me! What's one of your recent favorite romantic comedy movies? I liked Holiday last year the best, I think. Anybody have any recommendations? I'm in a movie mood.

Joyce said...

Scary movies are definitely NOT my thing!

Susan said...

Hi Vicki! I love scary movies. Especially psychological thrillers!

Minna said...

The scariest movies I have watched are Beetlejuice and The Addams Family movies.

Vicki Lewis Thompson said...

Hi! Testing again. Google didn't want to recognize me earlier.

Vicki Lewis Thompson said...

Hey, I'm golden again!

Joyce, I'm with you on that.

Susan, I'll bet you LOVED The Sixth Sense. I admired the craft of it, but I still have flashbacks of the scenes with dead people. Ugh.

Minna, LOL! I can handle Beetlejuice and the Addams family, too. :-)

tetewa said...

I love scary movies, went to see Saw 4 on Monday with a bunch of friends and loved it. I also have a bunch of friends that come over every Thursday night and we all watch the tv show Supernatural together, looking forward to this tonight.

Estella said...

I hate being scared.
I read and watch a movie to be entertained----not scared to death.
The last scary movie I saw was The Hitcher.

Nathalie said...

Hi Vicki... I am so chicken I can't even believe it myself!

Amy said...

Hi Vicki, I am a big chicken. I don't like to be scared and I don't watch scary movies.

Lily said...

I have never watched a scary movie... I really hate being afraid of something!

Jen in WA said...

I don't do scary movies or horror books... although I do like a good paranormal. For me, I think the difference lies in the graphic violence of horror.

I'm drawing a complete blank on any horror movies I've seen. All that's coming to mind is "The Birds"... but I don't see that quite on the level of more modern horror flicks.

Vicki Lewis Thompson said...

Me, again. Just making sure I can still post.

Vicki Lewis Thompson said...

Yup! My Google account seems to be screwy, but at least I'm here!

tetewa, you're one tough cookie! When I get scared in the night, I'll give you a call, okay?

Estella, I knew The Hitcher wasn't my kind of movie. I did see the last Bourne movie, but that was more adventure than scary stuff.

Nathalie, there's no way you're a bigger chicken than I am. During Jurassic Park, I had to leave during the raptor scene.

Lily, a woman after my own heart. You just say no to scary movies. Good for you!

Jen, I love paranormal if they're not too scary, which is exactly why I decided to write one like that. As for The Birds -- I still have bad dreams about that one. Hitchcock was something else.

I've had a blast chatting with everyone today! Thanks so much, Lucy, for sharing your blog with me. Everyone have a great evening and a wonderful weekend!

Vicki Lewis Thompson said...

P.S. Amy, I can't believe I forgot to respond to you! I've put you down in the "don't like scary stuff" column, which seems to be most of us. :-)

catslady said...

I love scary stories. The only movie to ever really get to me is called Fire in the Sky - it's based on fact and it's about aliens that aren't so nice.

ruth said...

No scary movies please. I do enjoy the film noir types though.