Thursday, September 21, 2006

Jack and the Beanstalk

I haven't lost my mind. Really, I haven't...but enter harried mother who just got the whole transportation situation uh...situated...for the three teens attending 3 different high schools. Said mother is also harried aunt who helps sister out when *her* transporation issues get a bit convoluted due to work and yeah, we just got that straightened out too. Oh, and said mother is *also* a harried writer trying very hard to stay on track with current book.

So, what do I do when one teen comes home and says, "We've got three foreign exchange students from Korea that need host families for the school year..."? I call the coordinator and set up a meeting. Well, what did you expect? Before the kids were born I spent one summer coordinating a foreign exchange program for 30 Japanese students and teaching them English. I know how hard it can be to find host families and well, I have mentioned how much I love being a mom? Love being an aunt too. Figure I would love being a "host mom figure" just as much, yeah? Good thing dh is such a hero...he went along. :)

So, um...a few hours later, I'm not one, but uh...THREE students richer in my household. Okay, one of them is going to another host family this weekend, but the other two are staying through June. Which means new furniture and uber reorganization of my son's bedroom. Three boys in one room. Yeah, we can make it work. If it were girls...uh...no, but boys? They're not so picky about space. At least mine isn't and neither are the exchange students. Just gotta make three beds work...good thing the room is bigger than a closet, no? But one bed? A queen size my boy sleeps on diagonally because he is so tall. Yeah, we've had to get very space creative. Enter futon and loft bed above it.

We've got the shower schedule worked out, they've discovered Top Ramen as an after school snack thanks to my nephew and dh and I are researching Korean recipes.

We are going to have such an adventurous year this year!

Discussion question: When was the last time you did something that sounded crazy, but you knew it was the right thing to do?

21 comments:

Kelley said...

You are such and Angel. Not many people are blessed to know someone with as big a heart as our dear Lucy has! I think what you are doing for those children is amazing! I would love to be able to do something like that someday. I how the transition goes as easily as possible for you!

Vivi Anna said...

Wow Lucy, I was in awe of you before...but now, I think wow! You are truly an amazing woman. Viva la Lucy!

LISA WILLIAMS said...

Definitely an adventurous school year.

Deborah Chan said...

Where do you get the energy, Lucy?

Shuck Ying said...

I would never be able to handle all that...good for you.

lidia said...

Lucy, You never cease to amaze me. Three exchange students plus your own brood. Given that and your writing you will be more busy than ever.

Here's to a very special school year for you and your family. At the end of the year those students will go home very many wonderful memories -- thanks to you, your dh and your kids.

Cryna said...

Wow, I admire you Lucy for taking on the exchange students. They will get such an enrichment being with your family, and how you have the energy for all that is amazing. Hope your school year is a great one.

It has been a long time since I did something crazy, knowing it was the right thing to do.

Cryna

Estella said...

How wonderful! To take in two exchange students is a very generous thing to do. Can't remember when I did anything Crazy.

Brandy said...

Wow, I admire your whole amily for being a Host family to those kids!

Crazy thing I did? I married my Dh when I was 18 and have never regretted it!

Sue A. said...

Hi Lucy, I sent you an e-mail through your website and learned that you might not get to it for a while so I thought I'd leave a note here.

I basically wanted to be of help with your "researching Korean recipes". I included a few links in the e-mail to get you started. Let me know if I can be of further help.

Stacy~ said...

You are such an incredible person Lucy. Your attitude is wonderful. You prove that the more love you give, the more you have to give, if that makes sense. There's no limit to what you will do for others.

Good luck with everything. It sure does sound like an adventure.

Jennifer L hart said...

Lucy, you are an inspiration to us all!

I have recently agreed to organize a suprise baby shower for my sister in law who is in NY while I'm in NC and many of the guests are also a few states away. The timing is going to be tricky, what with my DH traveling all of the time and keeping eveything hush hush. I hope both of our efforts have a Scooby doo ending!

Jennifer Y. said...

WOW Lucy! I admire you!

kim said...

that is great lucy. wtg winners

Kris said...

Wow, go Lucy!! I am in awe. Thanks for being such a generous person. You have a very interesting school year ahead, maybe it will make for good book fodder, or at least blog fodder when you have the time ;)

Dena said...

I have to quote the other poster's Lucy,WOW YOU ARE AMAZING!!! I think hosting one is something but two,you rock.

Dena said...

I forgot to mention,your whole family is incredible to do this because it will be a big challenge but I'm sure well worth it.

Judy F said...

wow I am speechless. Lucy you and your family are such wonderful examples on how things should be. I hope it all works out for you. I know it will be a life changing experience.

I will have to send you something special...

Lucy Monroe said...

Thanks, everyone! I'm sure it comes as no surprise to hear that I'm often doing havey-cavey stuff that well, I know is right. It works out, but the road can get bumpy. 'Course, if it was always smooth, I'd get uber bored, yeah?

Lori said...

We had exchange students all the time when I was growing up. We still keep in touch with 2 or 3 of them, in fact 2 of them (a sister and brother who stayed with us when I was 2 and 4) were at my wedding.

My hubby and I have already had 2 exchange students stay with us, but not fo rthe school year yet, just for the summer.

The room sitch will all work out. Have a great time with them!

Chantal said...

You are such a cool person, Lucy. Those kids are really lucky.

What an adventure this will be for everyone.