Tuesday, June 13, 2006

A very fun book...

I discovered Julie Kenner when she was writing her superhero series and immediately lost my reader's heart. :)  This woman writes funny, but manages to throw in a good dose of emotion and action into her stories as well.  I highly recommend this author for anyone who hasn't tried her and what better place to start than with her latest book?
 
CALIFORNIA DEMON:  The Secret Life of a Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom by Julie Kenner
(Berkley Trade, June 2006)
 
What's a mother to do, when there are only so many hours in the day, and the fate of the world is in her hands?
 
Kate Connor was a retired demon hunter. Now, after fourteen years busting her tail as a suburban housewife, raising two kids, and supporting her husband's political ambitions, she's rejoined the workforce-and except for a few minions of evil, no one has a clue. She tries hard to keep her home and work lives separate-a good idea when your job involves random slaughter.
 
Between fending off demon attacks, trying to figure out why the mysterious new teacher at the high school seems so strangely familiar, and keeping a watchful eye on her daughter's growing infatuation with a surfer dude, Kate is the busiest-and most dangerous-soccer mom on the block…

14 comments:

Chantal said...

Ohhh, that book looks really good. I can't wait to read ity!

Brandy said...

I read the first demon book, so I will have to read this one as well.

Stacy~ said...

I think I have the first one, I just have to find it. Lucy, you are a very effective book pimp!

Kelley said...

LOL, Stacy!!

Lucy, sounds like a great book. I'll have to pick it up. I love books that can make me laugh, but still carry emotions as well.

Lucy Monroe said...

Chantal & Kelley...you and me both. :)

Brandy, hon...what did you think? I haven't gotten around to reading it yet, even though I really love her voice. (I will guiltily admit I read the final book in her superhero series only a couple of months ago - don't tell!)

LOL Stacy...just call me BP for short.

Brandy said...

I liked the action, the family scenes were ok. I wanted a little more interaction between her and her hubby. I have to admit I'm eager to read the new one to see if the heroine will spill her secret to her daughter, or if her daughter will find out. The first book, kinda left it hanging with her daughter. I can't tell you anymore without spoiling the ending in the last one.

Lucy Monroe said...

Oooh...thanks, Brandy. :)

Hugs,
Lucy

Jen said...

It sounds great. I love a book that does the whole gambit of emotions.

Lucy Monroe said...

Me too, Jen!

Rita said...

I have just "found" this author..can't wait to read this book.

Lucy Monroe said...

Hope you like it, Rita!

Holly said...

Sounds very cute. I'm adding it to my Amazon Wish List. Thanks!

Lucy Monroe said...

You're very welcome...and FYI...she's chatting tonight (Wednesday - June 14) after my chat at Writerspace. :)

Holly said...

Great! Hopefully I can make it over!