Tuesday, March 21, 2006

When the writing surprise you...

Or me...as the case may be.  Sometimes, I'm writing along, sure the characters are going to do one thing and they flip the scene and do something entirely different.  Usually, this is a cause for rejoicing for me because it means that the book is getting more and more real by every word committed to the screen.
 
But sometimes the characters do stuff that I know is going to get me grief...from family members, from friends...from my editors.  And I have to argue with them and myself about going forward.  I'm writing a scene like that now.  I worry it's going to spark an argument with my editor, but it's the way the scene has to go.  I worry that if my family reads it, it's going to really bother some of them...but I'm still writing it as the characters are demanding I do.
 
You gotta ask yourself why and my only answer is that as crazy as it may make me appear to you all, my characters are so real to me I can't betray them.  Even for my own comfort level.  The thing is too...I think most of my readers, I hope all of them, are going to get this scene and they are going to like it ... a lot.  I hope. :)
 
Hugs,
Lucy

10 comments:

Cindy said...

Since it's a Lucy Monroe book, I know all your readers (myself included) are gonna love it. :)

Cindy

lidia said...

Lucy,

You have me intrigued! I can't wait to read the book. At some point - later, you'll need to tell us the scene that you are referring to. I for one know that no matter what the characters say or do, in the end, there will be a truly believable HEA for them.

Lidia

Lucy Monroe said...

Thanks, Cindy (love the baby monkey!) and Lidia. :) Remind me next year, and I'll tell you what the scene was. I think this book is slated for an early '07 release from Brava.

Kate Davies said...

Been there, done that -- and from my experience, if I try to make them do what *I* think is appropriate, I end up writing myself into a corner I can't get out of. Easier, in the long run, to let them have their way. :)

And yes, my curiosity is piqued!

Holly said...

One of the things I love best about your books, Lucy, is that I can totally relate to the characters.

One of the reasons I read is for escapism. If an author is good (and you are) I get so wrapped up in the story I feel like I'm living it, instead of just reading it.

They become just as real to me (or close to) as they are to you. I think it's great that you listen to them rather than everyone else when writing. Hmm, does that make you sound crazy?? Are there voices in your head telling you to do things? LOL I didn't mean it like that, but I understand what you mean and I think it's great.

Lucy Monroe said...

LOL Kati...you are right, which is why in the end...if you want the book to work, you go with what the characters want. :)

Holly...THANKS! You can't tell me anything nicer than that my characters are as real for you as they are for me. Happy sigh...

Brandy said...

Can't wait to read it. I think any work that has caused it's author to stand firm among questioning, is stronger for it!

Lucy Monroe said...

Brandy...that is what I'm hoping. I keep telling myself that if it's this hard, it's got to be good. LOL

Maura said...

I've had some things like that happen too. I had a PLAN for what my WIP characters would do next.

It was great, it fed the plot and the sexual tension, it was stellar.

Too bad they wouldn't stay in their own rooms.....

Lucy Monroe said...

ROFLOL Maura...I know *exactly* what you mean...it's worse than teenagers!