Thursday, January 26, 2006

Favorite reader quotes...

I thought I'd share something different with you all and tell you some of my favorite reader quotes.  Things people have said to me, or written to me about my books that have either made me laugh out loud, groan or feel really, really good.
 
"I just finished reading your book "Willing". I don't usually write to the author, but I was so very impressed with this book. It is the kind of book that after you read it you are sorry that it's over. I am the mother of 5 young children and I have a small business so I don't have a lot of time to read, but I had to finish your book the day I started it. I don't get to take many breaks, but I thank you for the mini mind vacation." ~ Phylana (Hearing that I've made someone's day brighter with one of my books means the world to me and this is a defining moment kind of email for me.)
 
"I thought *you* would write children's books." ~ My uncle, blushing, after the one and only time he read one of my books.
 
"I couldn't put it down!" ~ Multiple Readers (Trust me, every author wants to hear some version of this and we can never hear it enough, greedy little beings that we are. LOL)
 
"I felt like I was there." ~ Multiple Readers (This is so key, because I did too...when I was writing it.)
 
"I am now re-reading it and I only bought it yesterday!" ~ Dee in the UK
 
"I hated your hero until 5 o'clock this morning...then I finished the book and loved him." ~ My mom after reading TBPM.
 
"I liked how you take the formula of an HP and twist it around and make it unpredictable." ~ Stacy
 
"It is one of the most sensual, passionate, AND compassionate books I’ve read in ages and ages. Don’t know where you come up with your ideas, but PLEASE just keep those wonderful books coming." ~ Judy S (On BIM - a reader I counted as a friend who recently passed away...I really treasure the fact I have her comments on so many of my stories.)
 
"Have you ever considered writing a real book?" ~ Shall remain nameless.
 
"You are the Pearl S. Buck of romance." ~ My mom after reading my first book.  (She's a big fan of PSB, but I'm not.  It was a hugely funny moment for me that I got to share with no one buy myself. LOL)
 
Okay...now, it's your turn...share a funny or defining moment in your life when someone has said something to you that left you smiling, frowning or thoughtful.
 
Hugs,
Lucy
 
 

11 comments:

Holly said...

like this post. It's a great idea. :D

"Blog this, biotch." ~ My mom, on Tales of the Devil Woman.

"I'll ask you, because you're smart." ~ A friend, referring to her taxes, which I know NOTHING about.

"But I like your peanut butter and jelly best." My 6-year-old son.

Kate Davies said...

My favorite rejection letter quote -- "Maybe you'll be lucky enough to find an editor who was born yesterday."

Lucy Monroe said...

LOL Thanks for sharing Kati and Holly. I really enjoyed your "moments of humor".

Phylana said...

I created and sell infant swaddling blankets that make swaddling easy to do and maintain, and every time I get an email, letter or call about how we helped them get a good night's sleep or saved their sanity :) That makes me feel great.

When my children say " When I grow up will I be as smart as you?" (I hope they alway feel that way... I doubt it:)

I also felt pretty great knowing that my comments touched you, Lucy. When I came on to see your blog and saw my email and read what it meant to you, I was happy that I wrote.

Lucy Monroe said...

Phylana...how very cool! I don't suppose you'd email me info on the swaddling blankets? You never know what kind of stuff will end up in a book and I love researching things like this. :)

I'm happy you wrote too. I don't think readers usually realize just how much their reaction to a book means to the writer.

Michele said...

No can do, But, I've got another reader's comment for you from me.

Just read The Greeks' Christmas Baby. Yes I liked it.
Of Course.

However, you made me face something in your story about myself. I didn't like it.

When faced with Kassandra's warped and evil machinations, Eden's situation struck me to the heart. I felt my stomache drop to my feet and thought, How do you fight that?"
My first reaction, what I felt as what "I" would do, did not make me out to be a strong person. I felt like I would have been so crushed as to not be able to see my way to make a stand. I wanted her to run, and take her child, born and unborn, and find true happiness, somewhere and with someone else.
Of course that's NOT love. Love gives you strength to hold on. To fight. And Eden's weapon was to be herself. To Give selflessly. To keep trying. Live her love. Such is faith.
Depression is insidious. It warps reaction. And decisions. That , I can see most clearly now.
Your story showcased my failing. But I can recognize this.
So, yes, although I wasn't happy with ME, I was inspired by how you depicted Eden. Her choices. Her truth. You didn't have or let her give up. That was RIGHT. And a spotlight on how I should view life's challenges. No good comes from running or hiding. No closure, no hope, no true future and in it , happiness.
For those insights and other gifts within the story that you told, I thank you.
Yes, I'm one of those that can say "I couldn't put it down" and that "I had read it in one day."
However, from my vantage point, The Greek's Christmas Baby wasn't just a romance story. But an affirmation of strength and hope that true love provides and the mountains you can leap because of it.
Thank you.

Lucy Monroe said...

Oh, my gosh, Michele...I don't know what to say. But I do know *exactly* what you mean. There was a time in my life when running from pain seemed like the best solution and I remember getting really angry with romance heroines who stuck it out. God worked a change in me and I'm not running any more...though I'm not saying my heroines never will. They aren't perfect, any more than I am and that's the hope we find in a romance novel...the power to overcome our own imperfections to fight the good fight. Yes, we can *all* do it, but sometimes we need others to help us. I've got great sisters, but I learned as much from the friends I found between the pages of a book as I did from any of them. And found as much hope too...I always figured that though the book was fiction, a real person wrote it...so in her mind these things were possible. That's made a huge difference in my life and I am so very happy it has made a difference in yours too. Depression is horribly insidious and drains life away...and the worst part is that you fight the answers to fix it as part of the condition itself. If you do nothing elese for yourself, take up the habit of a brisk (as you can make it) daily walk...exercise increases dopamine levels, which in turn helps the chemical side of depression. How do I know? I've been there.

Hugs and blessings,
Lucy

Michele said...

Thanks, Lucy.
Thank you, too, for taking the time to write a wonderful response.
The exercise ... takes 21 days for a new habit to start to be ingrained. (or so I've been told) Winter weather not withstanding, I'm going to try. If anything, It'll tone me.
But I'm going to try. For me.
((Hugs!))
Michele

P.s. I'll let you know in a month where I'm at, if that's OK.

Lucy Monroe said...

Yes, Michele...please keep me posted. Don't ever hesitate to email me privately either. :) There is a form on my website and the email goes straight to me, not through anyone else. :)

Hugs,
Lucy

Reese said...

Hi Lucy,

Cutest thing anybody's said to me recently, was this morning actually - my daughter woke up and I said "I'll go get you a glass of milk." She said she wanted to come to the kitchen with me and I asked "why." And she said "because I love you."

True story.

Lucy Monroe said...

Oh, wow, Reece...I love that!!! Thanks for sharing! You give your daughter a hug for me and tell her it's 'cuz I think little girls who are so sweet to their moms are a treasure!