Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Sometimes, you're just in the mood for a sexy creature of the night...

While Jennifer St. Giles has written a book set in the post Civil War U.S. and Sylvia Day's book is a futuristic, both authors write a sexy, edgy story sure to please fans of paranormal romance.
 
HIS DARK DESIRES by Jennifer St. Giles
(Pocket Books, Nov. 2005)
 
You are in danger. Trust no one. The terrifying words from a mysterious letter echo in Juliet Bucheron's mind. Destitute ever since her husband disappeared in the Civil War, Juliet has turned her New Orleans ancestral home into a boarding house -- despite the rumors of ghosts, the whispers of scandal, and the stain of murder.
 
But even more unsettling is Juliet's new tenant, a handsome stranger named Stephen Trevelyan. Wealthy, educated, and seductively compelling, Stephen fills Juliet's heart with uncontrollable longing -- and her head with suspicion. Something, she senses, is lurking beneath the surface. And someone is stalking the hallways after midnight. As the danger draws nearer, Juliet wonders if she can really trust Stephen. But as he pulls her closer, she knows she cannot resist him...no matter what the price.
 
Read an excerpt.
 
MISLED by Sylvia Day
(Ellora’s Cave, Nov. 2005)
Special Task Force agent Derek Atkinson has a craving for luscious vamp Sable Taylor. But Sable’s a bounty hunter, which makes him direct competition in the capture of wanted criminals. Despite the obvious attraction between them, she won’t give him a chance and after two years, he’s tired of waiting for her to come around.
So he’s got a plan to give them both what they want… each other.
 
Sable’s on a dangerous mission. She’s not who Derek thinks she is, so anything personal just isn’t possible. But like most master vampires, Derek’s wily and used to having his way. When he traps her on his ship, she decides to indulge. Two straight days of mind-blowing sex should be enough, but it isn’t, not for either of them. Her heart is involved now, but Sable can’t let Derek get too close. If he finds out what she’s doing, he’ll never forgive her.  Derek, however, refuses to let go.  Now he’s getting shot at and asking questions she shouldn’t answer. Sable has to reveal the truth… Derek’s love has been misled…
 
Read an excerpt.
 
While you all know I don't write vampires (but I'm getting a kick out of my werewolves), I am wondering what your preferences are...care to share?

8 comments:

Kristen said...

Vampires, I'm on the fence with them.

Werewolves are my latest fascination.

As with any paranormal character, I don't want cookie cutter but would love to see individual takes on them. An odd twist or an unexpected one.

I'm looking forward to your werewolves, Lucy. You've picqued my interest.

k.

Lucy Monroe said...

Kait...it's really interesting that you should post on this because one of the heroines in my current book (it's a single title with a major subplot storyline) who just happens to be a werewolf is named Cait. I'm constantly having to catch myself and not use a K for the spelling, but according to my research while Caitriona was a name used in Scotland in the 11th century, the name spelled with a K was not. Names are so important to me. :)

As for doing cookie cutter stuff, I know exactly what you mean. I'm afraid that in some ways my werewolves are too different, but they are who they are. They aren't cursed, they haven't caught a body changing virus. In my books, God just made them that way and they really pity the other races of humanity that cannot make the change. ;) They have animal like natures in some respects and are wholly human in others. They've got lots of quirks and that list just keeps growing, but I haven't figured out yet if those quirks are entirely their "werewolfness" or because they are also fiercely proud Scottish highlanders.

Hugs,
Lucy

Danica said...

Oh thank you for sharing... I have been waiting for this Trevelyan book for quite some time now, but you know, there's only so many authors I can obsessively follow. Lucy Monroe, Lucy Monroe... LOL :)

Lucy Monroe said...

LOL Danica! I'm glad I reminded you about a good book. :) I'm like you...I can't follow all the authors I enjoy as obsessively as I'd like.

Hugs to you dear friend,
Lucy

Stacy ~ said...

I admit never really being a fan of either until the last few years. I kept associating vampires with cold, bloodless evil creatures without much of a personality, and werewolves just got really hairy and shredded things.

But when an author takes a concept that is pretty well recognized and tampers with the formula, it can be an intriguing result. I love that Sherrilyn Kenyon's vamps are hot and sexy (she really turned me on to the "enlightened" vampire) and now many other writers are creating their own original prototype (Shiloh Walker, MaryJanice Davidson).

So Lucy if you're werewolves are different, chances are that's just what it will take to get some of the naysayers to take a second look and become a fan of the genre. I think you just need to follow your heart with your characters - it's worked wonderfully so far :)

Lucy Monroe said...

Stacy...we could be twins. Seriously. I was absolutely an anti-fan of both vampires and werewolves until I read MaryJanice Davidson and Angela Knight. I then moved on to read Lorie O'Claire and Sherrilyn Kenyon and I'm hooked. I still have my fave authors and don't read the whole subgenre (but I couldn't possibly with any subgenre), but I love this "new" brand of paranormal creature. :)

Thanks for your encouragement on the book. I needed it. It's been a hard book to write because of all the layers and wanting to get them all right and wanting to fit the genre and yet needing to do my own thing. Your words were exactly what I needed to hear. THANK YOU!

Hugs!!
Lucy

Yesy said...

While I love all my romance novels, I gotta tell you that Sherrilyn Kenyon and Angela Knight's vampires definitely float my boat. What they do with the vampire genre is fab-u-lous. They add some nice little twists to the everyday vampire.
Lucy, your heroes are alredy yummy, so adding some werewolf into the mix would just be the icing on my cake.
(now please excuse me while I clean up this puddle of drool that has formed while thinking about all these hotties)

Lucy Monroe said...

LOL Yesy...hoping the drool didn't short out your keyboard. But I am totally with you on Sherrilyn Kenyon and Angela Knight's vampires. Very yummy heroes for sure. Sigh... :)

Hugs,
Lucy