Thursday, November 17, 2005

Another American Title II contestant...

First and foremost, I would like to thank Lucy for her kindness and generosity by allowing me a voice here in her blog. What a wonderful woman you are, Lucy, to share your readers with me!

Let me introduce myself, my name is Gerri Russell, and I'm an American Title II finalist for my book, THE WARRIOR TRAINER. I am thrilled to be one of the eleven finalists all competing for the ultimate prize of a publishing contract with Dorchester Publishing. And while all eleven of us would like to win, only one of us can. And your vote determines who that will be. To cast your vote in the first round of competition for the Best First Line, visit www.romantictimes.com between Nov. 14 and Nov. 27.

I am so pleased that Dorchester selected THE WARRIOR TRAINER as part of the competition. This book is very special to me. Not only was it the winner of the Romance Writers of America 2002 Golden Heart in the Short Historical category, it was written during the time that my mother struggled with her own battle over breast cancer. The heroine, Scotia, came to represent to me all the women out there in the world who struggle with issues everyday, and must find reserves they did not know they had in order to better their circumstances. The character of Scotia in my book is based on a true historical person. She was the first female trainer of warriors in Scotland and the reason the country is named what it is.

Another interesting facet of Scotia's life is that she brought with her to Scotland a stone of great importance, The Destiny Stone or as it became referred to in later days, The Stone of Scone. This stone is a historic national treasure to all of Great Britain and is featured prominently in the story. And that's what I like to do--to weave history with strong yet vulnerable characters and create stories that will (hopefully) linger in your heart as they do in mine.

During the American Title II contest I will be blogging on my website as Scotia. If you'd like to learn more about her, or read an excerpt of THE WARRIOR TRAINER, come check us out at www.gerrirussell.net.

Gerri Russell
American Title II Finalist for THE WARRIOR TRAINER

No comments: