Thursday, May 26, 2005

Life is such a gift...

My hubby turned 40 this week and for some reason that brought home to me what a true gift getting older and just plain *living* really is.  Maybe it's because my mom has had a terminal illness for several years, maybe it's because I have a friend who lost her husband younger than this, maybe it's simply because I look at dh and can't help the warm fuzzies that fill me up as I consider another year with him.  But life is a gift...even when it's hard.  Let's face it, for most of us anyway, tough stuff is part and parcel of life.  We know what it feels like to have our hearts shredded, our hopes dashed and our lives turned upside down and inside out.  We also know what it is to breathe, to feel, to laugh, to cry in joy and the happiness of simply touching someone we love, whether in a hug or merely brushing their hands with our own.
 
It's all about life and beauty despite the ugliness that might come.  The longer I live the more convinced I become of something:  people with a truly good attitude, people who can appreciate and be grateful for the gifts that life has to offer on a consistent basis, people that aren't busy complaining...are usually people who have had more than their share of pain and choose to love life anyway.  Or maybe because all the hurt has taught them what a treasure the times of joy really are.
 
These are my favorite kind of people.  I hope to always be one of them!
 
Happy Thursday!
 
Hugs,
Lucy

2 comments:

Michele said...

Beutiful sentiment. I agree wholeheartedly!!!! A lady at my church recently passed away. For years she suffered MS, but what got her was cancer. Through it all, she laughed, made jokes about what she was going through and generally was a positive upbeat person, even when she was hurting. She never got to see her daughter get married. She died 3 days before. Somehow , her daugher knew, and modeled her gown and all her finery for her Mom to see on that Monday. The wedding went on as planned. With examples of this loving family and their strength and courage in adversity, they are a great inspiration in how to live our lives. Life is a gift as you said ......and when others like that lady touch our lives, we are gifted by that as well.

Lucy Monroe said...

Michele...I love your story about the woman at church. She's a shining example of someone who loved life and embraced it fully when many would have been mired down in what could have been rather than rejoicing in what was. My own mom is like that and it is a constant source of inspiration to me.